Author Topic: 1968 RS Convertible with special-order two-tone interior - RARE FIND?  (Read 16351 times)

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
I've got a 1968 RS Convertible with two-tone interior - the seats and door panels are gold with black accent.  The very upper portion of the door panels are black (by the door lock) but the rest of the door panel is gold.  The seats are gold in the center (about 18" wide), with black surrounding the rest of the seat.  Back seat and rear side panels are the same.

The car was built in Los Angeles, and I was told the interior was special ordered.  Noone I've spoken to (Rick's Firstgen, Classicindustries, etc..) has much knowledge of this option.  I don't have the protecto-plate and have yet to search for the build sheet, so I'm SOL until I find it.  One person at Classicindustries did say they knew of this special order interior and said it was very rare.

Would appreciate any help - this is kind of driving me nuts.  I just got the car a month ago and want to begin restorations.

???

Thanks,
Don

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 RS Convertible with special-order two-tone interior - RARE FIND?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 04:07:18 AM »
I very strongly doubt this was a factory installation. It is far more likely a previous owner had a trim shop customize the interior.

There is a tag on the firewall near the master cylinder. What is the number next to the TR on the tag?
Learning more and more about less and less...

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 12:18:15 PM »
 I agree with William, ...check the trim (TR) code on the cowl tag.
  ...It almost sounds like you've described a deluxe gold '67 interior, ...with the top (metal) part of the doors painted black. My guess (only a guess, ...and without knowing the TR code), ....Someone painted/dyed the top of your (gold) '68 door panels and installed deluxe gold '67 seat upholstery. ...at least that's what it sounds like.

Kevin

...I just read another post where you mentioned the seats are only gold in the center area, ...the rest is ALL black (not just a stripe like '67), ...so my guess is wrong...  ;D

I very strongly doubt this was a factory installation. It is far more likely a previous owner had a trim shop customize the interior.

There is a tag on the firewall near the master cylinder. What is the number next to the TR on the tag?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 12:21:15 PM by KevinK »

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 02:33:07 PM »
The trim tag says the interior should be gold (722) - that's it. 

So if it is the case that the guy "customized" the interior, should I go back to all gold for the door panels, seats and carpet?  Notice he put black carpet on the kick panels as well.

Can either of you suggest where to go to get OER replacement panels and carpet.  Starting with fresh panels would allow me to get rid of the speakers as well, so not really all is lost.

Thanks again.

Don

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 06:25:57 PM »
I have a 68 RS with a 722 interior and its also two-tone...now. A previous owner covered the seats and the tops of the door panels with a dark green vinyl w/original pattern. The dash pad is also green. Everything else is still gold and it all looks pretty good. I intend to change it back to all gold eventually because I think the gold ext/gold int Camaro is hot!

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 07:38:13 PM »
John - is your carpeting black or gold? 

Thanks,
Don

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 07:59:14 PM »
Don,
My carpet is gold. Its faded, but its gold. The seat belts, window crank knobs and console are all gold. Its awesome!
The console is neat because it is white plastic painted or dyed gold.
Your car looks nice. What color is the paint?

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 10:53:17 PM »
Hi John,

It's gold on the outside, no stripes.  Since I can't find the protecto-plate or build sheet I'm thinking of adding the "bumble bee" stripe around the nose.  Otherwise, it's solid gold.

I may keep the carpet black to offer a contrast, but I've got an expert coming to look it over on Monday and may contract him to give it that extra TLC that it needs to really dress it up.

Here's another snapshot of the exterior.  You'll see I need to get the wheels back to orig as well, but for now they look pretty cool.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback.  I've been searching for a nice Camaro for about 5 years now, but in general I'm new to this.

Happy New Year!

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 10:55:25 PM »
wrong picture - here's the correct one:

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 01:23:25 AM »
Well, I tore apart the interior and brought it to a reputable upholsterer and his opinion is that it was done post factory.  I also tore the black carpet out and just this morning found a nickle sized piece of gold carpet. 

Guess that says it all.  Not original.  I'm planning to put it back to original, which is Ivy Gold interior. 

Also - the top is convertible black now, but the cowl tag says it should be white.  I've been thinking of going back to the white top as well, thinking there's several Ash Gold with black tops around but none with white. 

This would bring it back to original - and add a touch of class.  Won't look very masculine, but hey - it's a survivor!

36k original, documented miles, with matching engine code...!

Feedback welcomed.

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 06:01:13 PM »
Go for the white top!  I have a 68 Ash Gold L30/M20 with Ivy Gold deluxe interior and a white convertible top and it looks great.  It's a very nice color combo.  My father bought the car new back in 1968.

Now, finding Ivy Gold interior parts can be very frustrating.  I tried upholstery from everyone I could find, and none matched my original interior color.  Most vinyl was just too gold, while my original was gold with a touch of green.  However, the carpet from ACC was a perfect match.

After years of aggravation, I ended up changing my interior to black w/houndstooth inserts.  The covers came from CARS and are truly works of art.  I know the deluxe houndstooth wasn't available on convertibles, but it looks sooooooo good with the Ash Gold exterior.  I saved all of my original Ivy Gold parts just in case I want to ever change back.

Good luck with the project - it's a great looking car.
-Jeff
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 06:08:41 PM »
Don-
Check out this link for a picture of my Ash Gold w/ white top car.  The picture is at the bottom of the page:
http://www.camaros.org/l30m20-stories.shtml

That picture was taken July 6, 1968.
-Jeff

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 01:27:17 AM »
Hi Jeff - thanks for the reply!

Glad to see another pic of an Ash Gold with white top.  Nice car!

By the way, not sure if you can tell by the picture I have above but the chrome reveal molding that goes around the back end of car (between the convertible top and trunk) has snaps for the boot convertible top cover to attach to.

This is not factory original and I'm having a tough time finding a reproduction.  Any ideas?  Since I'm puting the top back to original white, I need a new boot, and the new boots have clips - not snaps. 

Thanks again for the feedback!

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 01:30:31 AM »
Pics of the reveal molding:

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 01:42:28 AM »
Keep an eye on the classified ads over at Team Camaro (http://www.camaros.net/classifieds/).  You may also want to contact Bob Mayle at Stainless Trim Restoration (www.stainlessresto.com or 716-683-4018).  Bob is a very nice guy and he did a fantastic job restoring my reveal moldings.  He was reasonably priced as well.  I believe that he can weld the holes and restore the moldings.  Keep us posted on your progress.
-Jeff