Author Topic: 68 Inner Heater Box  (Read 6254 times)

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
68 Inner Heater Box
« on: July 24, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
Can anyone tell me where the cable, that originates with the top lever (Air-Fan) on the non a/c heater control panel, ends up. All three levers control doors within the inner heater box, I have figured out which doors the bottom two levers control, but not the top lever as it's cable disappears behind the heater box. Furthermore, my shop manual says that sliding the top lever from the left to the centre opens the Air door and sliding it further to the right operates the 3 speed fan. When I slide the lever from the centre to the right, there is extreme drag on the lever and I'm afraid something is going to break. My understanding is that the travel from the centre to the right side is for operating the fan only. Is this correct? I have removed the cable from the lever so I know the binding does not originate in the heater control panel. I'd appreciate any light anyone could shed on this problem as well as directing me to any exploded diagrams of the inner heater box. Thanks in advance. Joe.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:36:13 PM by stovebolt »

'68vert

• View Profile
Re: 68 Inner Heater Box
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »
I may be able to be of some help to you, as my controls were very hard to move so I got to the ends to lubricate them. I have a '68 vert.
I found it best to take the glove box out. Directly behind the glove box, on top of the heater box you'll see the cable end & lever for the 'Heat / Cold'. Just to the left of that & up against the firewall is the cable end that you are looking for. It may be hidden by insulation, but it should be there. The cable end for the defroster is just to the right of the accelerator pedal, up on top of the heater box & it may be hidden by insulation also.
Hopefully I'm remembering that correctly. Anyway the one you want is one of those behind the glove box. You'll see it good with the glove box out

Jerry
Jerry
Base '68 'Vert

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:45:10 AM »
Thanks for your input. I have now discovered that the drag is in the cable and not the lever or door. Is the AIR cable removeable at the door end without removing the inner heater distribution duct? What is the best lubricant for the cable, grease, graphite?

'68vert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:18:24 PM »
To be honest with you, I have not removed the cables, but I believe they slip over the levers and are held on with a push on type washer/nut. (Can't remember the correct name for these). Seems as though the 'AIR' cable was pretty much buried though. It may be quite a job getting it out.
I used WD-40 to get may cables operating agian, just by simply spraying the ends, and working them in & out. It took some time, but they're working real nice now.

Jerry
Jerry
Base '68 'Vert

67camarorsss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 11:26:56 PM »
I believe the nut is called a "tinnerman" nut.
- 1967 RS/SS 396/TH400 (loaded clone restification)
- 1998 Z28 LS1/M6 (daily driver)
- 2002 Z28 LS1/4L60E (12 sec toy/bookend to the 67)

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 01:02:43 PM »
Thanks for all your input. I went the WD40 route on all cable ends, applying several applications and working it in by pulling and pushing on the cable. All three controls work fine now.

anything