Author Topic: Help! electrical question?  (Read 5650 times)

onebad34

• View Profile
Help! electrical question?
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:04:08 PM »
I am cleaning the wiring harness on my 67 B.B. camaro when I noticied on the harness from the fuse box out across the core support including the horn relay and headlights two orange fusable links in the harness blown. I traced each one and they go to the plug going into the back of the fuse block.  one is black and the other is black with white tracer. In the electrical print from my assenbly manual these two wires do not exist. they are part of the harness and not add on. Could these been from an option or maby for the consol gauge package? Would the print in the assembly manual show wiring for options? Is there any way to replace these short orange fusable links.  Any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you   Pete

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help! electrical question?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:30:22 AM »
Those are the two leads to the factory ammeter on the console.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:08:59 PM »
As Mark noted, those are the sense wires for the battery gauge - one goes to the battery cable stud on the starter solenoid, and the other goes to a screw terminal on the horn relay buss. The battery gauge senses the voltage at both points and displays the difference in terms of whether current is flowing TO or FROM the battery.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

onebad34

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 04:41:29 PM »
Thank you john and mark,  Now, I presume the amp gauge is or was bad?  We bought the car 1 1/2 years ago, drove it home and began restoring.  I do not know if all gauged worked.  thanks for the help.  Pete

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »
If you pull the connector off the battery gauge and use a 1.5V AAA battery with a couple of jumper wires to put power on the gauge terminals, when you touch the wires to the gauge, it should deflect fully one way, and deflect fully the other way when you reverse the wires. That will verify gauge function.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 04:16:27 PM »
If you pull the connector off the battery gauge and use a 1.5V AAA battery with a couple of jumper wires to put power on the gauge terminals, when you touch the wires to the gauge, it should deflect fully one way, and deflect fully the other way when you reverse the wires. That will verify gauge function.

Good test John.    ;D

Paul

anything