Author Topic: black on tailpan on ss cars  (Read 153205 times)

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: black on tailpan on ss cars
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2009, 01:49:12 AM »
My post states I don't claim to know what the factory did. Only what I see. As far as I can tell from those who have greater knowledge than I is they were painted full gloss and they were painted semi-gloss. I have not owned hundreds but a longtime friend  has and sent as many through a crusher has his opinion too. But it really does not matter because after all this I still do not know what's correct.

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2009, 02:22:41 AM »
In the end it is your car, paint it any color you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb5ZjmpmMbg

:)

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2009, 04:45:33 AM »
Not a great example.  Not a survivor, but OP in the jambs.  Clearly not glossy, but the RG next to it isn't either.  I would like to go back and check the trunk side of the w/s since that is an area that has neither seen the weather/elements nor has been rubbed/waxed.

My guess is that it was probably inconsistent, but I don't know.  The only OP BB car we've done was about 10 years ago.  Only have a couple poor pics, but it shows no reflection compared to the yellow next to it (kept indoors since the early-mid 70s) and would've made a mental note had it been glossy since back then the debate didn't really exist and the satin was what was thought to be correct.

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
Here is a suggestion, since no one can definitely prove the exact color, why don't we all agree to just paint them satin (30%) for creating a current standard since gloss looks absolutely awful.

8)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2009, 03:31:33 PM »
I guess it is possible there could have been some variance, but ALL of the original ones I remember in the late 60s and early 70s (not the ones 40 years old that have been waxed) were not shiny.  Satin is what I would call them.

Talked to a friend who was a body and paint man for over 40 years and he said they were satin.  He said there were several different blends that were used, but there were not what you would call a regular gloss paint.  They did have to add flattening agents to the paint.  That information was provided to the paint reps from the factory.  Now I guess that could explain why there is some variance.

In my opinion, Jim Mattison would be considered an expert and his opinion was stated earlier in this thread.

Buddy and RamAirDave, thanks for the images of the paint in the trunk area. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »
"Listen to the experts on this because you nor I are one of them."   And the experts are ?  And you know I am not a expert because ? I have been collecting and working on Camaro's for probably 35 years and have owned probably a couple hundred. I feel pretty confident that the examples I posted were not shiny because of being waxed over the years. I make no claims to be the expert but I know what I have seen over the years and I try to pay attention to orig cars.  The Yenko was a 8000 mile car and the green L78 is a maybe 12000 mile car ?

In my opinion the tail panels and rockers were painted semi gloss. My focus has always been on the survivor cars and have had access to dozens of survivor cars and none have had a full gloss tail panels. I own survivor cars and the black tail panels and rockers were not painted with the same paint used when they painted the complete exterior black. I would estimate it is 70-80 percent gloss. Sorry Charley, but I can't let you get away without a counter point.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »
And you know I am not a expert because ?

because you think they were painted gloss is the first clue.

Experts would include Jim Mattison and JohnZ among others.

::)

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2009, 06:46:43 PM »
Jim Mattison is also the guy that insists my 67 Pace car was built with a 427 even though I have the GM work orders calling for a 396. JohnZ also insisted his steel brake lines around the master cylinder came painted black. Lots of people have expertise, just not in all areas. Jerry MacNeish wrote books on Camaro's and in the books called out Satin I believe but even Jerry recently stated he looked at a very orig 68 and it was very shiny and might have to make a change to his book. Brian Hendersen of Supercar Workshop does what are considered the best Camaro restorations there are also says they are gloss. He was a top judge at Camaro's at Carlisle for years.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2009, 08:03:05 PM »
   For the record I do not possess 45 years of Camaro history nor have the  most knowledgeable restoration data on exactness.  And I respect all those who do. I'm just trying to sort all this out.

So one claim is the stripes and tailpanel were painted with unflattened lacquer (black stripes here). Which would mean they have identical sheens. Why has no one ever doubted that the stripes were or were not glossy? The stripes and rear panel would maintain the same integrity or degradation throughout the years on any given car. So how is it that the stripes reamain glossy and the tailpanel supposedly does not? Where is a person that pulled the trigger on these cars? I know what comes out of my nozzle.

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2009, 10:33:09 PM »
My Final post on this subject....

I WAS THERE when these cars rolled into the dealerships and my friends bought them(I couldn't afford one). I saw them and they were not gloss.

<edited per request; and it was out-of-line>
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:39:24 PM by KurtS »

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »
What a great guy you are turning out to be Buddy....

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2009, 11:22:24 PM »
My Final post on this subject....

I WAS THERE when these cars rolled into the dealerships and my friends bought them(I couldn't afford one). I saw them and they were not gloss.

Buddy, we can disagree but do it respectfully. There is no room for your last comment. Lets take a step back and calm down. This forum is means to share ideas, information and theories. If each of us weren't allowed to voice his opinion (without being ridiculed) then we would never learn about these cars through others experiences. There is a wealth of information knowledge on this site let's keep it flowing by respecting each other.

<edited quote>
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:24:26 PM by KurtS »
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2009, 01:30:32 AM »
Sorry...I was out of line...it just gets a little frustrating sometimes.......

All if fun........ 8)

B

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2009, 03:14:34 AM »
JohnZ also insisted his steel brake lines around the master cylinder came painted black

I don't know if JohnZ actually said that but I know mine were painted black in 1983 when I bought my PC, along with my booster.  The brake lines still are and its not from someones rattlecan restoration of the engine compartment of my car.  All of the armored lines on the front subframe are painted black from the master cylinder thu the proportioning valve to the bracket out on the outer edge of the subframe, while none of the brackets or clamps on the lines (the little rubber ones that hold the lines together have paint on them.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »
Then you have NIKKISDAD on Team Camaro who insists his all orignal and heavily documented L89 never had any black paint on the tail panel :) 
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28