Author Topic: MOTOR MOUNT STRAPS  (Read 27557 times)

420GOAT

• View Profile
MOTOR MOUNT STRAPS
« on: July 19, 2007, 05:37:40 PM »
hello, i've searched and i want to know who has used polyurathane motor mounts on a 67 with a 350.
i'm also interested in the way dealers would strap down mounts when a recall was issued. what methods did you guys use and what tips should i look out for? i checked the pollozzi link but it did not explain much....only the types of mounts. thanks in advanced.
I AM AT MY DESK MINUTES AWAY FROM THE BEACH, SAND, AND 420!!!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: MOTOR MOUNT STRAPS
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »
Here's a photo of the bracket and restraining cable around the upper control arm shaft that the dealers installed for the motormount recall.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »
nice pic....unfortunately im using headers so ill check to see if it is possible to do it this way. now is the cable tight or how much tension is to it? where did you get the cable.......thanks.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 07:43:49 PM »
The cable was a part of the kit provided during the recall.  There was no tension on it unless the mount broke and the driver's side of the engine reacted to the torque by shifting upward.  Then, it held the engine relatively level.   Anyone who has experienced the stuck-open throttle condition that results from a broken motor mount could testify to the fact that it was a potentially deadly situation addressed with this simple mechanism.  I believe that I've seen it used on a car with headers by using spacers on two exhaust manifold bolts to position the bracket correctly.  It looked a little funky but just about anything would be better than the stuck-throttle syndrome.  This thing was not complicated.  It was engineered to get the job done and yet be capable of installation in a minimum of time and fuss.  I would guess that a line mechanic could install it in a matter of a few minutes without  moving major components.

67camarorsss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 09:08:45 PM »
Potentially deadly indeed, especially if making a left turn. I've had it happen a few times. Quick thing to do was either throw it in neutral or turn the engine off. Both took the strain off of the carb bell crank and accelerator rod. I ended up fabbing a bracket with a clevis pin and a strap pretty much the same as the factory. Being in and having a sheet metal shop at your disposal helps, but could be done at home with the right tools.
- 1967 RS/SS 396/TH400 (loaded clone restification)
- 1998 Z28 LS1/M6 (daily driver)
- 2002 Z28 LS1/4L60E (12 sec toy/bookend to the 67)

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 03:19:46 AM »
I don't want to seem ignorant, but didn't 69's come with interlocking engine mounts or was that just H.P. ones?
68Z28

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 04:44:36 AM »
i believe the frame mounts between 67/68 and 69 are differrent...................i had the broken mount syndrome on a zz4 i once buiilt......drove me very crazy for a week.......i almost crunched a wall once too!. this time i want to strap it down, so any ideas on how to get or make straps would be appreciated...........other than that maybe ill put chains on the headers or somehow chain the block down.......usually the driver side.

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 04:50:14 AM »
I've installed polyurethane motor mounts, they are designed with internal brackets, that should the poly break the brackets will catch and not allow the engine to torque over.  I can't remember who makes these but it should not be to hard to locate.

Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 02:03:06 AM »
Here's a photo of the bracket and restraining cable around the upper control arm shaft that the dealers installed for the motormount recall.

I have a motor mount recall cable kit but the bracket to the manifold does not look like the one in the picture.  It's "L" shaped if viewed from the side and has one hole in it's center to bolt it down.  What year is the set-up in the photo?  Were the brakets different Nova or for different years and manifolds?
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 08:08:23 AM »
I'm using Energy Suspension urethane engine mounts on my '68 and they work great. '67-'69 all have the same dimensions as far as bolting up. The '69 factory engine mount was changed physically, but the bolt pattern and frame mounts are the same on all 3 years. The Nova shared the same subframe as the Camaro...they are virtually identical and it all interchanges. The only reason a stock Camaro would need the holddown cable is if the engine mount had rotted away. The cables were a CYA item from GM...useless, but they made a good PR program. And they do look nice on a resto! Sweet pic, John Z.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 02:26:50 PM »
This is what I have.  I'm not sure what it fits but it's not the bracket John has.  Anyone have an idea?  I have 2 of them.  They were in a box of junk I got with my last Camaro.
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 08:29:50 PM »
I know the recall was in place in 1972, for the 1969 Z-28's. It would be hard to believe that the mounts would be rotted away by that time. I would think it would be a problem with too many hard leaves breaking the mount. GM was known to change the mounts to interlocking style, if tubing headers had been installed, and the kit would not fit around the exhuast.
    Pat

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 05:31:46 PM »
This is what I have.  I'm not sure what it fits but it's not the bracket John has.  Anyone have an idea?  I have 2 of them.  They were in a box of junk I got with my last Camaro.
No ideas?  The car was originally a 6 cyl car.  Did 6 cyl engines get a motor strap too?
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 05:33:54 PM »
I should have mentiioned I'd be interested in at least one bracket if anyone has one
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 02:59:20 AM »
This guy on ebay says he has the motor mount straps for a Z28.  They are the same thing that I have and not the ones that are in the photo that JohnZ posted.  What doe they fit!!!!  Someone must know what the go to??  Item number: 250196176550
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

anything