Author Topic: 68 door mirror  (Read 13192 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 68 door mirror
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 09:13:30 PM »
John,

Interesting. I wonder if the 69 installation was changed from Chevrolet to Fisher because of the work involved. From the drawing, it appears that the only thing Fisher installed in 68 was the "Retainer" for the Escutchion. The rest (I'm assuming) was installed by Chevrolet. I'd like to know if the D33 option shows up in the 67 AIM. This might tell us if a change was made in "who" was responsible in installing this option. If it does show up in the 67 AIM, I would bet the responsibility went from the Chevrolet line to Fisher because of the time and work involved.

Ed

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:20:20 PM by bertfam »

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 09:44:36 PM »
Here you go Ed.

Steve

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 10:40:13 PM »
Thanks Steve. So what do you think about my theory John?

Ed

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 04:38:54 PM »
Ed, it appears that the key difference is that the control is mounted in the exposed painted steel upper portion of the door inner panel, above the door trim panel in '67-'68, so it could be installed by Chevrolet without removing the Fisher-installed door trim panel. In '69, the door trim panel covered the entire door inner panel, all the way up to the glass opening, so the attachment of the control and bezel to the door trim panel had to be done before the door trim panel was final-installed in the Fisher Body Trim Shop.

The issue of "content" (who installed what) between Chevrolet and Fisher was a constant "war" between the accountants on both sides; Chevrolet HATED giving one of their parts to Fisher to install, as Fisher marked-up the cost of the part, added outrageous labor charges, and billed it back to Chevrolet as part of the "body cost".
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 06:00:17 PM »
Thanks John. Good info.

Ed