Author Topic: How well to the 69 reproduction wheel well moldings fit?  (Read 17962 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
How well to the 69 reproduction wheel well moldings fit?
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:01:30 PM »
I am looking for wheel well moldings for my 69 Camaro.  I see that GM ones are discontinued.  They can be found but at a hefty cost.  Furthermore, the ones I have found for sale are scratched and dinged slightly and not really appropriate for a show car.  I bought a set of repros about 8-10 years ago.  They looked okay but they fit like garbage.  At first I thought I bought a set for a complete different car.  Has anyone had any experience with the latest offering of reproduction moldings?  Do they fit and look better? I don't mind having to finesse a set to get them to fit but I have heard that I may have to cut them up with snips just to get them on.  All opinions welcome.

Steve 

sd1968z28

• View Profile
Re: How well to the 69 reproduction wheel well moldings fit?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:17:38 PM »
they still suck, as do most corvex products.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »
Ones I've seen don't have the proper size holes drilled either.  In my opinion, not a quality piece - I would assume that a lot of finesse will be required.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:47:26 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:31:34 PM »
I bit the bullet and bought a GM NOS set of three I found on ebay.  The seller has several sets of three and he still has some left if anyone is interested.  Email me and I will give you his contact info.  He only has the fronts and the driver side rear.  I called Rick's and they stated that they only have the driver side GM moldings left and only one of the rear and two of the front.  They further advised me that they are not the nicest as the wrappers fell off long ago and they are scratched and slightly dinged.  Rick's was nice enough to let me know before I ordered.  Rick's further confirmed what is said here...that the repro's aren't too nice.  It still amazes me to this day that they can't make parts with today's technology at least as decent as they did 40 years ago.  It's not like the bar was set too high for quality, but somehow, we can't even match the quality and fitness.  If anyone has or knows of a passenger rear molding for sale, let me know please.  Not looking for it cheap...just looking for it.

Steve
sdkar@bellsouth.net

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 11:07:47 PM »
If your car has GM quarter panels on it, then you must use GM moldings. The Corvex part is made to fit only the repro 1/4 panels which are a little different than the factory ones behind the wheel. There are new correct repros supposedly being tooled up right now that will fit properly on original 1/4's, but it will be awhile before they are going to be available. Before anyone asks, no they are not being tooled up by Corvex  (Dynacorn). If I find out anymore info I will pass it along..........RatPack................

You know, I have a mint set of NOS ones that somebody sent me with a car that he supposedly wants restored........they MAY  ::) still be in my attic unless there is a great offer sent my way ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ..................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 01:20:44 AM »
email me a price you would take for all 4 of them...

Steve

sdkar@bellsouth.net

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 02:31:39 AM »
I have a set of Goodmark full quarters welded on...am I going to have problems with the OEM wheel well moldings?

What exactly is different from GM quarters and aftermarket?

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 03:20:57 AM »
Steve, you will have problems getting the OEM moldings to fit the Goodmark 1/4's, but not as bad as trying to put repro moldings on GM 1/4's. Make sense?...... Check your email for some questions........RatPack...........
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 01:45:41 AM »
I found a set of three NOS wheel well molding and bought them.  Actually, I bought two (2) sets of three moldings that include both driver side and the passenger front, all GM NOS and still in wrapper with screws.  If anyone needs any of the moldings I will sell them for what I paid, which is $100 each plus shipping. 

Finally, if anyone has a passenger rear GM wheel well molding for sale, I would like to buy it.  I will pay big $$$.  Not looking to get a great deal...just looking to get one.

Steve
sdkar@bellsouth.net

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 09:03:55 PM »
The fact that GM was making 100,000 plus of these parts probably has a lot to do with the quality. A lot more can be spent on tooling when quantities a huge like this.  I'd be curious to know what quantity of sales is required for the repros to break even, ie, pay the tooling costs, etc. I'd bet it's no more than a few thousand pieces, if that.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 10:30:23 PM »
Steve, did you ever get the pass rear ones?  I might be able to help, there not NOS, but originals

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 01:26:14 AM »
Kevin...I still need the passenger rear.  If you have a lead on one I would appreciate any help.

Steve

Claus

• View Profile
    • Yutivo
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 04:59:38 AM »
If your car has GM quarter panels on it, then you must use GM moldings. The Corvex part is made to fit only the repro 1/4 panels which are a little different than the factory ones behind the wheel. There are new correct repros supposedly being tooled up right now that will fit properly on original 1/4's, but it will be awhile before they are going to be available. Before anyone asks, no they are not being tooled up by Corvex  (Dynacorn). If I find out anymore info I will pass it along..........RatPack................

You know, I have a mint set of NOS ones that somebody sent me with a car that he supposedly wants restored........they MAY  ::) still be in my attic unless there is a great offer sent my way ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ..................

I fitted repro mouldings on my 69 with GM quarters, it wasn't easy and required some modifications to the mouldings (drilling and even cutting). I was surprised how poor they fitted and had expected a direct bolt-on

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
Steve, I will look at what I have, I cant remeber what spare I have.  Where are you located?