Author Topic: oval floor pan plugs  (Read 20580 times)

onebad34

• View Profile
oval floor pan plugs
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:52:09 PM »
Does anyone certain on how the oval floor pan plugs should be installed with the indention down in the floor pan hole or with the indention up?. Logically it looks like they should go down, but I am being told that they were installed up at the factory.  On the internet I have seen both.  thanks  Pete

sd1968z28

• View Profile
Re: oval floor pan plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:38:54 PM »
everyone here says up, but when i took my car apart i swear they were down?  maybe different day new guy, who knowns?  but concensus says up.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:24:24 PM »
The indentation faced up, and they were retained/sealed with body seam sealer.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

onebad34

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:35:50 PM »
thanks guys. That is what I was told, don't understand the logic, but if that is what the factory done, who am I to change.  thanks  again

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:56:54 AM »
The indentions do face up and that's what we look for when we're judging at the Camaro Nationals. 

Jerry

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »
What about the seam sealer color, date code, plating,and the overspray ?  Just a few more things to look at on a correctly restored first gen.........

Steve

JohnKY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:03:33 PM »
The reason the indentation goes to the top is to match the floor level. Otherwise, there would be a dip under the carpet or trunk mat.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »
Not to mention a small puddle now and then.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 02:22:40 AM »
All original seam sealer that has been examined on original cars by us has been cream or white in color.  All orignal cars that I have seen over the years have not had any paint on the plugs.  Also know that the repro plugs do not have stamped numbers or dates on them.  We deducted for some repro plugs in the "Legends" class at the Camaro Nationals last month.

Jerry 

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 02:53:29 AM »
Interesting take on the unpainted body plugs......I've seen several plugs through out the years on unrestored low mile cars with paint inc...blackout,primer,and some with body color...I feel it was a hit or miss item....Not something that had to be painted but often got hit somewhere along the line..WD-40 and a good bit of elbow grease will often uncover some interesting things under a old Camaro...

Steve

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 11:59:38 PM »
I have tried to upload a pic of a  orig.68 Camaro floor pan plug that is painted along with the sealer but the site tells me to contact admininstator because upload limit has been reached or something like that.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 03:49:02 AM »
There some limit that's being hit on the upload folder size. Hopefully Rich or Doug can address it.
Here's the pic.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:57:32 AM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG

bbd564

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for the type or brand of seam sealer and application method?  Thank you.

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 01:10:22 PM »
Nice picture Charlie.......and I was only describing what I've seen from the outside...I don't get to lift many carpets ....

Steve 

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »
I have observed on most original car that have been certified through the Vintage Camaro  (survivor class at Carlisle) to have some degree of exterior color overspray on the underside floors pans. This overspray has been found on both the sealant and plugs. I have never seen primer on the plug or sealant just body color. Another item to note is that the adhesion property of the plated plugs is very poor and in many cases some of the paint has come off. Also the degree of body overspray on the floor boards themselve varies quite a bit, therefore varying the amount on the plugs/sealant. Remember this is not a black and white issue as I stated some cars will have alot of overspray and some may have very little if any left after 38 + years.

I will review my photo files and look for very clear examples, one that comes to mind is Don S.'s 69 HO Yenko. That car had an amazing underside, that was very well preserved and showed the overspray very well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 02:53:29 PM by paceme »
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-