Author Topic: Air Shocks  (Read 23628 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Air Shocks
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »
Has anyone found a set of air shocks that will fit the rear of a '68 with multi leaf springs? I tried listings and tech lines for Gabrille and Monroe and all said they had models for '68 single leaf versions - but none for the multi leaf variety - due to clearance issues???
Anyone found a set for a multi leaf application from any other supplier? Nova models apparently have some available but they appear to be different length and mounting brackets although I don't know why, as they were chassis-wise supposed to be the same from what I knew,,,  Thanks - Randy

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Air Shocks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 04:01:15 AM »
Randy, I bought a set from the local NAPA back in November that said they were for single leafs, but it is possible they will fit multi leaf cars by the specs shown.

Air shocks for single leaf applications:
Extended length:  19.625"
Compressed length:   11.875"
Total travel:  7.75"

Stock replacement rear shocks for multi-leaf cars show similar specs:
Extended length:  19.375"
Compressed length:   11.75"
Total travel:   7.625"

It would be up to you as to whether they would fit or not. The last set I bought for a multi-leaf car was about 4 years ago and they were from NAPA. I cannot believe that Monroe would quit making these.............RatPack...............
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 05:42:07 AM »
I have a set on my Z28 and you can have them when I change out for the originals ones I have.  I will look tomorrow and see what kind they are.  I think Gabriel and they do look old.
68Z28

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 02:10:18 PM »
monroe's MA815 work

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 02:38:32 PM »
It would be up to you as to whether they would fit or not. The last set I bought for a multi-leaf car was about 4 years ago and they were from NAPA. I cannot believe that Monroe would quit making these.............RatPack...............

I can't either - but that was the story I got from a somewhat surly tech-guy yesterday at Monroe. About the only good help I got from him was "the height of the spring pack interferes with the air valve"... He didn't at all seem interested in trying to cross other models or similar GM lines to see if other models might have some that would work either.
The ones you mention sound very close - NAPA we don't have up here - was it a brand exclusive to them or was it a generic brand you ended up with like Gabriel or Monroe?
Thanks - Randy

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »
I have a set on my Z28 and you can have them when I change out for the originals ones I have.  I will look tomorrow and see what kind they are.  I think Gabriel and they do look old.
'68 My old ones are supposed to be Gabriels as well and the old box says 715sc and 49374 on it but no brand name so I wonder what they actually are and supposed to fit...
A friend went the 15 hours from here to a Fall Carlise 12-13 years ago and picked them up for me when there. I'll have to try and run those numbers to see what they were really intended for! - but they did fit although never worked that well.
Thanks for the offer - your old one's shipping would probably end up costing almost as much as new ones here if I could get some - Thanks - Randy

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 03:01:50 PM »
monroe's MA815 work

Mike:
Funny that Monroe doesn't know that... do you have some in use?
Is that part number really intended for that app or is it just for another make or model of vehicle and it apdapts? If that is the case and it has specs close to what a Camaro actually needs I may be tempted to jump on some regardless since my options seem limited obviously - Thanks for all the help I have rec'd so far from everyone here - Randy

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 12:00:57 AM »
The ones you mention sound very close - NAPA we don't have up here - was it a brand exclusive to them or was it a generic brand you ended up with like Gabriel or Monroe?
Thanks - Randy

Randy, those are made by Monroe for NAPA. I can do more verification Monday through a friend that owns the local NAPA store, but I believe Monroe supplies Pep Boys, Autozone, and Advance Auto..........RatPack..........

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 10:08:46 PM »
Thanks - Randy

Randy, those are made by Monroe for NAPA. I can do more verification Monday through a friend that owns the local NAPA store, but I believe Monroe supplies Pep Boys, Autozone, and Advance Auto..........RatPack..........

Rat... I would appreciate that - I ran the MA815 number given previously by Mikey and it is sourced to a Ford Lincoln model!! It may fit but isn't very close model-wise to any Camaro and may not have the proper travel or damping due to the different intended usage...
The 49374 on the box I still had in the garage is in fact a Gabriel number for some sort of Toyota wagon or something -so again ones can be found that will work but possibly just not well as I stated mine never seemed to operate that good from the get go.
I would have thought that Monroe would have other shocks intended for GM and/or other makes and models that the tech help guy would have been able to access when I called - but I guess I caught him on a bad day from the sound of it.
Appreciate any and all help with this - Randy

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 08:05:33 AM »
I found that number at work its in the back of the Monore book. I work for an auto parts store. I know of two novas and 69 firebird that had go luck with them. i found it a year ago by matching up the demetions with a set of standard gas shocks. Its been a while seen i last sold a set, so please check.

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 08:07:14 AM »
Oreilly Auto parts carries monroe

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 01:02:27 PM »
I just checked and there is not an air shock made by Monroe that fits multi-leaf 68-9 Camaros anymore. The closest is the one for the single-leaf which doesn't make sense as it is a longer shock, and usually the multi-leaf cars need the longer shock. If your car is finished, I would remove the rear shocks that are on there now. Once you have them removed, measure from the bottom of the upper shock mount to the center of the lower mounting point on the shock plate. If that distance is equal to or longer than the compressed length of the air shock dimensions listed above, then I would say try them. Also compare the extended & compressed lengths of the shocks you removed to the dimensions above. The dimensions are so close that they should work, now don't forget to take into consideration the upper washer and bushing for the shock when measuring your car. I wish I could have helped more. BTW, the NAPA number is MA711 for the single leaf shock, which is the same for O'Reilly's, Advance, and Autozone...............RatPack...........................

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »
I just checked and there is not an air shock made by Monroe that fits multi-leaf 68-9 Camaros anymore. The closest is the one for the single-leaf which doesn't make sense as it is a longer shock, and usually the multi-leaf cars need the longer shock. If your car is finished, I would remove the rear shocks that are on there now. Once you have them removed, measure from the bottom of the upper shock mount to the center of the lower mounting point on the shock plate. If that distance is equal to or longer than the compressed length of the air shock dimensions listed above, then I would say try them. Also compare the extended & compressed lengths of the shocks you removed to the dimensions above. The dimensions are so close that they should work, now don't forget to take into consideration the upper washer and bushing for the shock when measuring your car. I wish I could have helped more. BTW, the NAPA number is MA711 for the single leaf shock, which is the same for O'Reilly's, Advance, and Autozone...............RatPack...........................

Thanks for you efforts - Can't see why the single leaf variety wouldn't work - and I'll probably give them a try. The tech guy said there was some form of interference with the MA711 model but the lines always attach onto the upper half of the shock and don't come even close to the spring pack itself - so I don't know why he said that. I figure I'll try and order a set and see just how they do fit - can always return them if they don't I guess. Thx - Randy

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »
Glad to help out. Let me know what you find out.............RatPack..........

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »
A few years back, I bought a set of AC Delco air shocks for my multileaf '68.  Has anyone checked to see if these are still available?
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17