Author Topic: Rad-iator ideas  (Read 10427 times)

420GOAT

• View Profile
Rad-iator ideas
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:16:36 PM »
im on a budget and i was thinking of pulling a radiator from a 3rd gen Camaro.....dual fan setup from a TPI car......i can fab brackets.....but any other things i should look for? i was considering using a pick-up radiator for my 67.....i know this is not original but the costs of Camaro radiators is outrageous....just 'cause it is Camaro......thanks.
I AM AT MY DESK MINUTES AWAY FROM THE BEACH, SAND, AND 420!!!

sd1968z28

• View Profile
Re: Rad-iator ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »
$250 buck will buy a radiator at any shop in usa, if thats too expensive you better get another job cause things get pricier everytime you turn around?

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:49:25 PM »
$250 won't even get me a standard v-8 radiator ....let alone any kind of perf/big block application :P....for two bills i was thinking jegs/summit aluminum universal.....auto parts store wants at least 300 on special order. for around a 100 i can get a radiator, shrouds, fans.....last camaro i built was a ss/rs and everything in my sick mind had to be us made or nos......not this time. i probably do need a better job....I SELL CLASSIC VW PARTS. any way i wanted to know if any one has ever done this and was just feeling it out.....thanks.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 11:00:35 PM »
Classic Industries, as an example, on page 660 of their current on line 67-69 Camaro catalog, lists 12 small block and 15 big block applications.  Prices for SB radiators vary from $220 to $275; BB radiators vary from $270 to $320. 

That would be the way I would go, and did a couple of years ago, when I purchased a replacement radiator for my '69 RS from Classic Industries.  The original radiator now is on display hanging on the garage wall.  I am not a big fan of trying to recore old radiators - at least in my experience it usually is not the best $$$ investment.  Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 10:22:56 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 11:11:44 PM »
ok guys you got me!!! not only am i frugal (aka cheap) but i also yearn to be different.......if anything ill probably spring for an aluminum job since i made sales target and will get a bonus.....see how i did that....just for attention.......  ;) any mods though?.....anyone.

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 01:30:39 AM »
Well in that case 420GOAT I guess you really did not have to ask! ;D

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 02:56:16 AM »
Hey. Goat--if you can find an old Buick Electra with a 455 you can easily make that radiator work! It fills the frame rails side-to-side (you'll have to dimple the tanks), but it works, and you can even use the later-model shroud and top plate. In years past I was as cheap as you are--gasp!--and didn't have the bucks to buy a new radiator to cool my high-compression 400, which would spew like a geyser in town with the original 2-core radiator. Most any older big-displacement GM land barges had the same radiator. Might be worth a try if you have a lot of boneyards close by. This time around I bought a new 4-core radiator from Rick's for a little over $200. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »
there are plenty of yards within a mile and i wanted some ideas to kick around .....i love talking to people who are innovative and creative.........almost anyone can get parts off the shelf and that is cool, but i always love to hear about what worked and what mods needed. i lke the buick idea but any car before 75 is difficult to find in L.A. yards. i still want to hear what worked since this a message board.......thanks. :)

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 09:07:43 PM »
GOAT,

I might still have a few parts (very few) around someplace form my 59 bug. Any value there?

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 10:21:53 PM »
there's some and it depends on the condition......check THE SAMBA VW .COM for a comparitive pricing.