Author Topic: x-66 headlight bezels  (Read 10867 times)

262jp

• View Profile
x-66 headlight bezels
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:59:54 PM »
I am restoring a 69 x-66 camaro and need to know if it gets the chrome or plain headlight bezels. I have read the CRG information and am now more confused than ever.Does anyone have an original car with the original bezels? Maybe Jerry will answer this one. thanks

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: x-66 headlight bezels
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 01:09:54 AM »
Plain, painted black.
Learning more and more about less and less...

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »
Bill, I thought all (non-RS) SS Camaros in 69 received the chrome trim on the headlamp bezels? X55 does, so why not X66?..................RatPack....................
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 06:04:34 PM by rat pack »
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 02:39:05 AM »
1969 Camaro dealer sales literature has detailed descriptions of what is included with the various option packages. "Camaro SS exterior features" does not list "bright headlamp trim" but style trim group does. The same description is repeated in the ordering info, salesmans' booklet and the three revs I have of the dealer order form.

The July 1969 Super Stock magazine road test of one of the first Yenko Camaros, known to be X66, clearly shows plain headlamp bezels.

The May 1969 Hi-Perf Cars road test of a non-style trim 396/375 Camaro SS also shows plain headlamp bezels.

Based on these original vintage road test photos and Chevrolet ordering info there is no reason to believe a non-style trim Camaro SS would have chrome-trimmed headlamp bezels.

262jp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:03:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I will put the non chrome bezels on my car however I beleive the bezel should be silver with a silver grill. thanks again for the info.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:28:24 AM »
Correct; the std headlamp bezels are always the same color as the mesh portion of the grille.

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 03:50:13 AM »
Bill, according to the charts on the CRG X-code page, all SS models have the chrome trim on the bezels (see the link below). I know of many X66 cars that have the chrome trim on the bezels. As for the Yenko, that is not really a true comparison since those cars all specified the standard production grill in silver, so maybe they got the headlamp bezels w/o the chrome, unless they are X11 coded. Dunno?...............RatPack.......................

http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#XnnCodes

262jp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 04:01:55 AM »
Well...I am confused again. ???

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »
I cited 5 separate pieces of Chevrolet documentation that does not list chrome-trimmed headlamp bezels as included with Camaro SS equipment. The early versions DO list chrome-trimmed tail lamps which the Yenko has. There is a photo of it next to another Yenko which also has them.

I provided 2 sources of vintage magazine photos showing non-style trim X66 and SS cars correctly assembled with plain headlamp bezels.

Ergo Camaro SS equipment DID NOT include chrome-trimmed headlamp bezels. Our table is incorrect and should be updated.

If the hobby went by what people thought or remembered Z/28s would have black grilles.

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 11:17:49 PM »
Our table is incorrect and should be updated. Agreed.

If the hobby went by what people thought or remembered Z/28s would have black grilles. And they all have ZL2 hoods and spoilers too.......... ;D
...............RatPack..........................

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 02:38:49 AM »
...don't forget the cross-ram!!

deejaygee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 04:08:46 PM »
Here's a pic of the grille on my X66 Canadian car equipped with a block heater (i.e. the cord sticking out):

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 02:40:49 AM »
Good find! The page will be updated soon. :)
Kurt S
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 06:24:59 AM »
Here's a pic of the grille on my X66 Canadian car equipped with a block heater (i.e. the cord sticking out):

Now that brings back memories of my youth! :)