Author Topic: ss stripes  (Read 7836 times)

PAPPAWESOS

• View Profile
ss stripes
« on: June 30, 2007, 06:04:37 PM »
Hello, First post here it goes, Would a ss 3rd week Jan. date have the D90 or the D91 stripe?  I read the change came in Jan. but how soon it was standard practice?  Going back to original paint scheme and want to be correct.  Thanks

PAPPAWESOS

• View Profile
Re: ss stripes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 04:57:45 AM »
crickets

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 02:57:12 PM »
What year are we talkin' about?
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

PAPPAWESOS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »
Sorry about that, 68

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 02:51:31 AM »
Just curious... would the release of the D90 stripe predate the 1-24-68 date in the AIM?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 04:23:32 AM »
The release of the new Rallye Green, LeMans Blue, Corvette Bronze and British Green colors occured in the first week of January, 1968. I have a few cars in the database with 01A dates and these colors. I also have a few 12E cars with the discontinued colors, so I'm going to assume the color change occured on Tuesday, January 2nd, 1968. (I believe the factories were closed on the 1st, but I could be wrong. John?) I'm also going to assume the D90/D91 stripe changes probably occured at this same time, but I have no proof of this. Unfortunately, there's just not enough ORIGINAL paint cars in the database to go on.

As for pre-dating the January 24th date in the AIM, I'm not sure. Again, John would have to answer this.

Ed

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 02:55:07 PM »
Yup, January 1st was a holiday - no production. A.I.M. dates are simply when the sheet was released from Drafting; the actual implementation date of a change could vary widely (in either direction) from the release date on the sheet. Implementation was tracked through the NPC (Notice of Production Change) system, and none of the NPC's have ever been made public - it was an internal system between Engineering, Purchasing, Production Control, and Manufacturing.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

PAPPAWESOS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 03:30:42 AM »
So would it be safe either way?  By the way the car is U-U hence the '' new" color LeMans Blue.  I Think I would prefer the nose stripe opposed to the nose and door''decal'',  but if thats how it came from GM thats how I want it.  Thanks to all.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 06:35:44 PM »
A.I.M. dates are simply when the sheet was released from Drafting; the actual implementation date of a change could vary widely (in either direction) from the release date on the sheet. Implementation was tracked through the NPC (Notice of Production Change) system, and none of the NPC's have ever been made public - it was an internal system between Engineering, Purchasing, Production Control, and Manufacturing.

John, I recall when you've shared this before, but help me with one detail.  Did the NPC have a page attached to it at least similar to what the AIM shows?  I understand the issue of varying dates from the AIM, but I'm unclear how it was implemented before Drafting released the page.  Did that come from Engineering (in this case by Jan 2); and then, Drafting released the drawing later (on Jan 24)?  I guess my ultimate question is "What kind of info. (the NPC?) was actually given to the persons on the line that actually made the change?"   ???

So would it be safe either way?  By the way the car is U-U hence the '' new" color LeMans Blue.  I Think I would prefer the nose stripe opposed to the nose and door''decal'',  but if thats how it came from GM thats how I want it.  Thanks to all.

Pappawesos, there you have the marketing delimma that GM and others faced.  I've got a 12D car that I think looks better with the later stripe.  You've got a 01C car and you like the earlier stripe.  Only about a month apart, but differing customer opinions.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:37:15 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »
John, I recall when you've shared this before, but help me with one detail.  Did the NPC have a page attached to it at least similar to what the AIM shows?  I understand the issue of varying dates from the AIM, but I'm unclear how it was implemented before Drafting released the page.  Did that come from Engineering (in this case by Jan 2); and then, Drafting released the drawing later (on Jan 24)?  I guess my ultimate question is "What kind of info. (the NPC?) was actually given to the persons on the line that actually made the change?"   ???

I wrote a highly-detailed article on how running changes were implemented on the line and how the NPC system worked, including an actual timeline from the day the ECR was written to make the change to the day the plant reported the NPC as fully implemented, in the April, 2006 issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine (800-448-3611 for back issues). Here's a brief excerpt that describes the NPC:

<<Notice of Production Change (NPC) – This document was issued by the Central Office Facilities and Production Planning Department after Engineering completed all their work, and outlined for Purchasing, Material and Production Control, the supplier, and the affected assembly plant, exactly how the change was to be implemented.

It described the change, identified all the parts involved and any coordination required between the old and new parts, whether the Broadcast code was affected, the required effective point for the change in production, disposition of the existing (replaced) stock, and the reported actual date of complete implementation at the plant.>>
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything