Author Topic: Body Tag No. versus VIN  (Read 6997 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Body Tag No. versus VIN
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »
I know that body no.'s and VIN no.'s are not in sequence, but is there still a general correlation between the two? That is, would an expert looking at a trim tag be able to spot a fake from a body no. that would be out of range for a VIN/build date?

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
Re: Body Tag No. versus VIN
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 04:12:38 PM »
The vin number and the built date showing on the Cowl tag are in direct correlation to each other.

Example: If the vin number was 123378N250000. The 250000 was built during a specfic month at the Norwood plant., If this month happened to be April, then on the cowl tag the buld date should be 04A,B,C,D or E. The cowl tag should also have "NOR" reflecting Norwood plant.

If the build date on the cowl is 11A then one of the tags is wrong. I would think the majority of the time it is the cowl tag.

Dave

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 07:11:09 PM »
I think what Jimmy is asking is if the Fisher body number stamped on the cowl tag correlates to the VIN. From all the threads I've read here and at TC, the answer is yes. How to tell if they go together, I have no idea, but the experts here can tell.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 07:24:37 PM »
RJ_RS_SS_350, you are correct.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:05:06 PM »
The vin tag and cowl tag stamping were not one in the same. the Vin tag number 3rd digit represented the engine type "3" = 6 cylinger "4" = 8 cyclinder.  represented the engine type
 The cowl tag the 3rd digit represented the interior"4" = standard interior "6" = deluxe interior.

Dave

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 05:32:37 PM »
The cowl tag the 3rd digit represented the interior"4" = standard interior "6" = deluxe interior

Dave that only applied to 1967. In 1968 and 1969 all Trim tags had 12437 for Coupes and 12467 for Convertibles, no matter what engine or interior was installed.

Ed

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »
Yes I should have mentioned that. Which also verifies that the cowl and vin are not one in the same.

Dave

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:04:06 PM »
I know that body no.'s and VIN no.'s are not in sequence, but is there still a general correlation between the two? That is, would an expert looking at a trim tag be able to spot a fake from a body no. that would be out of range for a VIN/build date?

Jimmy V.

Yes, and, yes.
(deleted)
Trim tags also have a date that is much easier to correlate to the VIN than the body number is, and there is a chart for that, so thats how most trim tags are confirmed to align with the VIN.
I am sure there a few experts who have a large enough data base to also do it by the Fisher body number, as a check point in addition to the date.
Does that answer your question properly?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:01:04 PM by 68 Ragtop »

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 07:12:53 PM »
Yes, I guess what I am asking is would some very knowledgeable, ie expert, like Jerry or Alan Colvin be able to look at a given VIN and be able to tell that the tag is fake because the body number was way out of range for that particular VIN. I know that there wouldn't be an exact number, but possibly a range which would flag out a fake tag. If there is maybe I shouldn't bring this up, because those into forgery would have one more piece of the puzzle to make their forgeries look more authentic. On the other hand, the info may save some amateur(like me) from a big mistake. I have had my Camaro for years now, and frankly, if I had to buy one today, I think I would be scared to death of what I was buying. That is, if I was buying a supposedly an original Z, SS, etc. Before buying a COPO, I'd probably need therapy!!
Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »
You bring up a good point. I do not want to help the tag forgers, so I deleted part of my answer above.
It's best to post a picture of the tag on a potential purchase and get a consensus from the experts.