Author Topic: Do Heat Shields Work?  (Read 20754 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Do Heat Shields Work?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 02:42:19 AM »
Drove the contrary car about 300 miles from the 4th until today --started perfect every time and ran great!  (I know, "Then, why complain?!?) I'm starting to think it is possessed! 

Steve asked me if it could be vapor lock.  I don't think so, but if anyone can shed some light on that, I'd appreciate it.

Still looking for more info. on heat shielding either way...  And any more starter help, period...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 02:43:54 AM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

olympic69

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 05:40:01 AM »
My friend is still on vacation, but this is the general idea, from camaros.net, a relevant thread:

"Whatever starter you use you might want to make sure IF IT IS A STOCK TYPE that it has the big field coils in it!!

You can tell if it does b/c back on it's end opposite the snout, it will have a 3/4" long copper spacer piece that bolts the field coil strap that comes out of the housing to the back of the Bendix. This is b/c the field coils are longer and are heavy-duty!! (I.e., more torque output!!!)...

Once, I just took my old 350's big flywheel starter to the parts house and told them I wanted a h/d one that matched my snout and I ended up with a rebuilt h/d 454 vette starter.. The parts-person dug around opening boxes for about five minutes before he found it....

That's the kind of service I look for in a good parts store!!!!!

pdq67"

You can read the whole thread at:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50981&highlight=starter+interchange

Hope this helps, sorry I could not do better ( for now at least). I guess the kay is whether or not your block is drilled for the desired starter .
Rob
Olympic Gold X33

"Its all crazy..."

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »
Does the solenoid engage or click, if so it is probably starter related. I know John Perkle installs bigger motor windings when he rebuilds starters.

Also I have had solenoid issues where it wouldn't even click when hot. The tolerances between the plunger and coils  closed up due to heat expansion and wouldn't allow the plunger to engage. That was a simple fix, I purchased a hi temp solenoid from MCCP Ron 815-648-1700. 
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 04:08:25 PM »
Thanks to both of you --that's getting right at the probable source(s) of my problem (sometimes weak engagement, sometimes click, sometimes nothing) and the best fix...  ;D

Wallace

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 06:05:08 PM »
This may not be your problem but it wouldn't hurt to check all of the ground conections and the + cable to the starter, making sure they all have good metal to metal contact.  I have also had heat soak problems with starters which live under headers.  I had good luck with the flexable shields which wrap around the entire starter.  Found mine at a Checker Auto Parts for about $30.

Wallace

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 02:58:24 AM »
I've already dealt with both the starter itself and wiring issues...  I do agree that often a wiring issue is missed, but that's not my issue here. Still looking for opinions about best heat shield....

I  have also had heat soak problems with starters which live under headers.  I had good luck with the flexable shields which wrap around the entire starter.  Found mine at a Checker Auto Parts for about $30.

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking about using.  ;D

anything