Author Topic: PTB on Los Angeles Camaros  (Read 50436 times)

rat427

• View Profile
Re: PTB on Los Angeles Camaros
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
I have seen plenty of Yellow stamps also but they have been on restored cars.   I know of two muscle car dealers in the north east one in particular for some reason has been using mixed colored PBT'S with yellow for years. 
I guess they same reason they put White X marks on everything possible under the hood and under the car along with the X'S with the circles on the rear end covers.
The same guys also put Yellow, Green, Red & blue dots & paint marks on just about every nut & bolt on the car. (IMO)the car looks like it has been driven through a paint ball factory.

They do this IMO to make the cars look more highly detail for the uneducated buyers. (Dealers) anything to help the sell & bring more money.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
Then there is the yellow .... :)

Seriously, I ask because one of the National judges told me recently that all one color and mostly orange.  Of course he could be wrong. Plus the fact every Camaro shop that sells first gen parts has been selling these stamps for years so who know how many of these firewalls have been stamped.

I would be interested in what Steve and the guys in the Vintage Certification Program have seen

Just saw this thread, so sorry for the delay in responding. I have looked at hundreds of camaros and with the exception of two the PTB stampings were the same color. As shown above many have a T stamped below the trim tag with an X chalk/crayon marking as well. I would certainly call multi color inspection stampings the exception but they did occur.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »
A freind brought by his very original 69 Z28 Sat, & I remebered this post.The engine compartment is nice & untouched.
 Here are pictures of Yellow & Orange stamps. Built 1st week of Feb.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2011, 01:45:55 AM »
More pics

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 02:58:27 AM »
A freind brought by his very original 69 Z28 Sat, & I remebered this post.The engine compartment is nice & untouched.
 Here are pictures of Yellow & Orange stamps. Built 1st week of Feb.

Norwood-built car, right?
Jon Mello
CRG

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »
Correct, Norwood built

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2011, 12:13:14 PM »
Thank you.
Jon Mello
CRG

chevyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »
I see people on here have talked about it but no one has said what it means.   I also have an F stamped under the cowl tag on the firewall.  Its green and to the left of the master cylinder.   What does it stand for???   I know what the PBT stands for.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2013, 09:35:16 PM »
The F you think you see is a P missing the arc.
(P) Paint (T) Trim and (B) Body inspections before the bodies left Fisher.
I was under the impression the orange and green were different shifts.
Here are a few more Green ones from the 10D Z28 I just finished.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

chevyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
It is very Lite but i dont think so.  The PTB is very evident on the left side of Master cyl in the corner just like yours appears.  I will try more to see if i can verify it.  Its all alone under the cowl tag.  I see others have mentioned the same as i.
Thanks for getting back to me.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2013, 01:21:37 AM »
that 'original stamp' that was referenced as 'yellow'.  appeared to me to be a very faded orange....
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
My original engine bay Z10 has a green P still visible on the driver side just to the left( from a driver perspective) of the trim tag.  I'll have to check for the T under the trim tag and on the other side for stamps and mixed colors.

67L78

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »
I've heard that the PTB letters were ink not paint. Is that true?

Richard

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
 I have seen a few real examples on unrestored NOR cars and it looked like a high solids ink instead of paint.
I can't see any reason to use paint when ink is cheaper and I'm sure there was no intent for them to last beyond the assembly line.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »
i have stated this before, but here it is again.   my family owned and operated a chevy dealership for many years, and i asked my father about this, jerry has met my dad so he knows i am not making this up. he told me those damn things washed off the first time you cleaned up the car for PDI.  not really paint probably some water based stamp. they are very seldom seen in real life just another goofy bull thing like the fan sticker stated above.

Well, I might have agreed with you before I went out to my car and checked ...  :)    (Personally I hate to see those 'unknown' paint marks all over a freshly restored car..  my theory is that NO ONE knows what many of them mean, and most restorers are simnply following the 'monkey see' monkey do' rule..  :)

Anyway, after seeing some info here and on TC about the PTB mark, I was examining my firewall one night a week or two ago, and sure enough, I saw a faint PBT (in green) just above and to the right of my brake booster...    I took a photo of it, but don't have it where I can post it right now.   Note:  I bought my '69 Z28 (norwood car) in 1976.  It has sat in my garage undriven (*un-anything) since 1980.  It has never been restored....

And to add to what Gary said, if you don't see, or can't find those stamps on your car, how do you really know what color they would be if you follow the monkey see monkey do mentality? I have yet to find any P T B stamps on my untouched 69 Z. Sometime in it's life the firewall was dusted with something black and I don't have a clue what to use to remove it so I can investigate more.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

anything