Author Topic: driveshaft  (Read 5678 times)

camaromikey

• View Profile
driveshaft
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:48:17 AM »
this maybe a dumb question but is the driveshaft just a hollow tube with the yokes weld on either that is balanced or is there a damper inside.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: driveshaft
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 01:53:29 PM »
It's just a hollow tube, and some have a cardboard liner; no damper inside.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

pickelnose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:25:24 PM »
I recently cut a mustang driveshaft open and it had a 3 foot long metal tube twice as thick as the outer tube.it was pressed in with rubber seals on each end of it.this had to be some typeof damper.but i,ve never seen this in a chevy.

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 04:34:32 AM »
i have no way of knowing if it is the orignnal but im having some drive shaft trouble right now and the guys working on it say the damper came lose inside. I just wanted to know if they were feeding me #$%^ or they were telling the truth. I thought it was just a tube too. Does anyone know if in 1969 they used a damper inside the driveshaft. My car was built second week of December. It's a 69.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 02:05:10 PM »
Years ago my original driveshaft suffered catastrophic failure on the dragstrip and the only thing inside the tube when we retrieved it was a cardboard cylinder that appeared to have approximately the same OD as the ID of the shaft tube.  Couldn't tell how long it had been because it had unraveled somewhat but it may have been close to the same length as the shaft.  I believe the failure was on the part of the front yoke or u-joint, not the tube itself.

Chris_Pisane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 01:35:52 AM »
John Z correct as usual. I have cut many apart and shortened them. I donrt remember a cardboard cylinder,just a flat piece.
Chris Pisane....Fathom green 69 z/28 ,Lemans blue 69 JL8 Z/28 http://cpisane.photosite.com/