Author Topic: POWERGLIDE FLYWHEEL COVER  (Read 7961 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
POWERGLIDE FLYWHEEL COVER
« on: June 16, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »
As quite of few of you know, I have been searching for a flywheel cover for my 350 with powerglide. I have purchased 4 covers at different swap meets across Ill. and Wis. and to no avail, none have cleared the flywheel. Well I finally found out the reason for this and after explaining it to all, you'll understand it as well as I. I just had my engine and tranny rebuilt and at that time I bought a brand new cover. Much to all involved it did not fit either. The reason? my engine came out of truck, and it has the flywheel for a truck which is bigger for more torque??? than a Camaro flywheel. It had more teeth and a larger diameter. So now comes the million dollar question, anyone have any insight on where I can find a cover for a powerglide that was fitted for a truck engine and flywheel? Or do I take the cover I have to a job shop that deals in metal fabrication and have them "modify" this cover to fit the flywheel I have? i need about one inch more in diameter around the bottom of the cover so the teeth do not hit the cover.

Dave

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: POWERGLIDE FLYWHEEL COVER
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 05:12:40 PM »
Dave check with your local Chevy dealer. It may still be available. I bought a flywheel cover for my Camaro just a year or so ago! Some parts are still available.

Ed

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »
Hey Dave,
Congratulations on solving your "mystery"!  I think Ed's probably right!  There are lots of trucks from that era still on the road. 
With your rebuilt motor and greater torque, it's a good thing you've got new tires.  I suspect you've got a real wheel-spinner now.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 09:46:22 PM »
Ed:

Thanks for the info, I will give them a call.

Phillip:

Don't know about a  "Wheel Spinner" or not. I haven't gotten on the engine and have no real intentions of doing so. I know it always had even before the rebuid, some pretty good pulling power on the bottom side. Now it just feels more evenly distributed if that makes sense. I know it cruises even nicer than before with some extra ooph when needed. I'll keep ya posted on the trials and tribulations of the mysterious flywheel cover 8)

Dave

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »
JohnZ:

I was given this part number by a Chevy dealer in Illinois. He stated this is the part numer for a flywheel cover for a 1/2 ton truck 350 that has powerglide transmission. 3831527, would you be able to tell if that is correct? He states no Chevy dealer in the US has one!

Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 06:22:32 PM »
Dave, I show that cover to be used on a lot of cars as well.

3831527 (Group 0.679)

1966-1968 Chevelle W/P.G. (396)
1967-1968 Camaro, Nova W/P.G. (350)
1969 Chevelle W/P.G. (350)
1969 Camaro, Nova W/P.G. (350) (exc. 2/BC)

Probably used even later (and on other models) but my book only goes to 1969. READ THIS THREAD...

HERE'S one on ebay from a 69 Impala (not sure about the engine though. Doesn't look like the one in the link above.)

HERE'S a chrome one (not sure about the application on this one either. Might be one of those "one size fits all" kind of things...)

Looks to be a hard item to find. Good luck...

Ed
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 06:28:39 PM by bertfam »

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:48:16 PM »
Sam:

Thanks for looks and info. Yes this one is hard to find and it probably is because I have a 70 powerglide and a 78 350. I'm guessing the engine was hooked  up to a TH350 or maybe a 400 tranny. If I remember correctly the glide was not available in 78. So that is what I think is causing the problem. The cover hooks up correctly to the tranny but because the flywheel is bigger it hits the bottom of the cover or "bowl" for a lack of better term. So I am guessing the most logical think to do is either "alter" the cover I have to fit or have one made.

what ya think!!!!!!!!!!   ::)

Dave

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »
Sam:

And the pictures are most excellent! It looks like JohnZ did respond to this thread also!!!!!!! Based on what this "vette" thread shows, there were two parts numbers for the covers. And the 1527 is no where to be found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave