Author Topic: SPRINGS IN THE BURLAP  (Read 5719 times)

420GOAT

• View Profile
SPRINGS IN THE BURLAP
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:40:17 PM »
hello people....does any one have experience with the thin springs in the burlap.......how are they exactly put back in.....thanks i already researched.
I AM AT MY DESK MINUTES AWAY FROM THE BEACH, SAND, AND 420!!!

olympic69

• View Profile
Re: SPRINGS IN THE BURLAP
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 03:50:30 AM »
If nothing hits here you might try over at Camaros.net:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/

In the interior section.

Good luck!
Rob
Olympic Gold X33

"Its all crazy..."

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 04:49:59 PM »
thank you very much.

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »
Just got around to doing this my self. My front seats were in bad shape and needed a complete going over. Most of the thin springs were missing as someone had redone the interior years before I got the car. It was velour and was a nice job at one time, not much care was given to originality. What I did was to buy some straight spring wire 13" long .040 dia. and some burlap from McMaster-Carr. They have a very nice web site for all kind of things hardware. The springs are spaced at 1 1/4" so you will need 14 for the 18" long pannel for the bottom of the front bucket seat. I then cut the burlap 15" wide by 20" long and folded it into pleats(like and acordian) 1 1/2" wide along the 20" length. Then stick the springs through the burlap and unfold. You then have a 1" border to fold over and glue with spray trim adhesive or if you have access to a sewing machine you can sew the sides or you could use duck tape. Anyway you get the idea. Good luck..
Sam

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »
the way they are in the backrest is under the burlap but between a thin plastic sheet and the burlap....then laid above the springs....so i got some sisel padding that has a strong plastic mesh attached to jute type padding....at work we sell this to guys who restore their bug seats......i layed the thin wires above the springs and put the sisel (mesh down) on the structure......then hog-ringed it like the original.....this seemed to be as close to the original i could recreate.....then i layed the foam pad from a vw bus seat on it all....seemed to be ok....i still need to wrap it with vinyll to give it a tight feel to it. i should probaly pay a pro but i have other stuff to chew on........later and thanks for the input. ;)

anything