Author Topic: Paint for Hockey Stick Stripe and Rear of S.S.  (Read 25236 times)

• View Profile
Paint for Hockey Stick Stripe and Rear of S.S.
« on: June 11, 2007, 07:33:21 PM »
Somebody help.  My 69 S.S. Big block is in the paint shop and the painter is wanting to know the answers to 2 questions.  Hope somebody can help.
1. Is the hockey stick stripe high gloss black or semi gloss?
2. Is the rear of the car below the trunk lid semi gloss or flat black?

Thanks much for you help.

sd1968z28

• View Profile
Re: Paint for Hockey Stick Stripe and Rear of S.S.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
stripe is high gloss, tail panel is 30% black meaning semi gloss, tell him 30% he will know what you mean.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:37:23 PM »
Thanks for your information. It will help greatly

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:18:29 PM »
semi gloss is about 70-80% gloss. satin might be 30% gloss, and of course flat black is 0% gloss.

Tail panel is much higher gloss than 30%, infact i beleive it is just tuxedo black which would be gloss.  Fisher painted the tail panel and rocker panel paint on their side of the plant.  How many shades of black would they have had in their in line paint booth?  The inline repair booth (at Norwood) was where all the big block tail panels, rockers and striping work was done.  Do you think they were painting black stripes (gloss) on cars and then switching the paint over to paint the rocker and rear panels a semi gloss black?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »
i have owned and observed lots of these cars, i have never seen gloss glack on tail or rockers.  30% means 70% gloss 30% flatening agent.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 02:50:52 AM »
The inline repair booth (at Norwood) was where all the big block tail panels, rockers and striping work was done.  Do you think they were painting black stripes (gloss) on cars and then switching the paint over to paint the rocker and rear panels a semi gloss black?

Yes, they did. They had circulating systems for all the body colors, and for the low-gloss application on BB tail panels and rocker blackout. The Chevrolet-side paint shop also had a separate low-gloss circulating system for the rear lower portion of the fender that had to match the rocker blackout.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 10:13:49 AM »
So can we finally make a definative call and say that the rockers and tail panel paint was semi gloss black?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 01:00:50 AM »
So can we finally make a definative call and say that the rockers and tail panel paint was semi gloss black?

I'd say so - it certainly wasn't the exterior gloss black used for primary body color and stripes.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 01:57:53 AM »
John,

As everybody knows, the D/90 stripe utilized a tape section for the doors.  I've never actually seen an NOS set of door stripes so I don't know if they are gloss,
semi-gloss, etc..  Also, how well did the painted portion ( on the front fenders ) match the gloss level of the door stripes?  I probably should have paid attention
to this years ago.  When I restored my '69, I had the stripes painted on ( doors as well ) because none of the dealers could get me the door stripes and/or the
front fender masks.  Funny how they later showed up on eBay 20+ years later.

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 02:09:29 AM »
John,

As everybody knows, the D/90 stripe utilized a tape section for the doors.  I've never actually seen an NOS set of door stripes so I don't know if they are gloss,
semi-gloss, etc..  Also, how well did the painted portion ( on the front fenders ) match the gloss level of the door stripes?  I probably should have paid attention
to this years ago.  When I restored my '69, I had the stripes painted on ( doors as well ) because none of the dealers could get me the door stripes and/or the
front fender masks.  Funny how they later showed up on eBay 20+ years later.

Steve

It is difficult to tell the the tape on the door and the paint on the fender. I had a couple nos stripe kits and they were definitely gloss.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 01:53:53 PM »
Well I have had numerous sets of white and black NOS door stripes including the ones I just put on my car and they are not exactly high gloss, but I dont think they were meant to be. The fender stripe on my car when I bought it in 1980 was orig and it was gloss black. The door stripes are close but not as glossy as the paint. I still have a few sets left over somewhere in my pile of parts. I bought some of them in 81 from the dealer.
My original rockers had the orig paint on them and they were more like a 30-40% gloss.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 04:36:25 PM »
Well I have had numerous sets of white and black NOS door stripes including the ones I just put on my car and they are not exactly high gloss, but I dont think they were meant to be. The fender stripe on my car when I bought it in 1980 was orig and it was gloss black. The door stripes are close but not as glossy as the paint. I still have a few sets left over somewhere in my pile of parts. I bought some of them in 81 from the dealer.
My original rockers had the orig paint on them and they were more like a 30-40% gloss.

Regarding black tail panels and rockers, the original paint cars I have inspected an owned have been semi gloss, say 70-80% gloss. This issue has been debated for ever. I believe many semi gloss tail panels have been polished over the years and this tends to make them appear gloss.

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 01:42:01 PM »
...... I still have a few sets left over somewhere in my pile of parts. ......

Jonesy,  If you are willing, I 'd love a set of NOS black D/90 stripe sets.  Name your price.  PM me.

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 02:12:32 PM »

"Regarding black tail panels and rockers, the original paint cars I have inspected an owned have been semi gloss, say 70-80% gloss. This issue has been debated for ever. I believe many semi gloss tail panels have been polished over the years and this tends to make them appear gloss. "

And it will still be debated. The orig paint tail panels I have seen I would call  closer to gloss and not from polishing over the years. Definately not semi gloss.

[/quote]
...... I still have a few sets left over somewhere in my pile of parts. ......

Jonesy,  If you are willing, I 'd love a set of NOS black D/90 stripe sets.  Name your price.  PM me.

Steve

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 04:22:26 PM »
So can we finally make a definitive call and say that the rockers and tail panel paint was semi gloss black?

I'd say so - it certainly wasn't the exterior gloss black used for primary body color and stripes.

John,

Did you ever witness the D/90 striping process at the factory?  I'm wondering about the fender masking process in particular at this point.

D/90 owners:

In lieu of an NOS D/90 stripe setup ( mask & decals ), what vendor offers the best reproduction?  Correct level of glossiness of door decals
would be most important here.  Lastly, how do you match the fender paint ( glossiness ) to the door decals?

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 03:00:22 PM »
John,

Did you ever witness the D/90 striping process at the factory?  I'm wondering about the fender masking process in particular at this point.Steve

The D90 fender stripe was painted in the Chevrolet Paint Shop's in-line repair booth, using a die-cut applied mask, tape and paper, where the hood and fenders (and header, fender extensions, and front valance) were mounted on a conveyor buck in car position. The decal "tail" portion of the stripe on the door was installed on the Final Line, after the front sheet metal had been installed and fitted.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 02:14:37 AM »

The orig paint tail panels I have seen I would call  closer to gloss and not from polishing over the years. Definately not semi gloss.

But you definitely would not call the tailpanel full gloss. It's not the same gloss level as exterior gloss black. The easy test is you can't see a mirror like reflection in the tailpanel.
So it's agreed that it's somewhere in the mid-gloss range.
The easy place to check on an original paint car is in the trunk jamb under the weatherstripping......
Kurt S
CRG

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 02:18:21 AM »
Kurt, there is no helping Charley, as he is a full gloss advocate :)
Steve Shauger

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 03:21:33 AM »
After seeing the orig paint 67at Carlisle last year I would say the tail panels are gloss. The orig. gloss tail panels I have seen were shinier than the 67 at Carlisle. My only problem with looking around the trunk seal is sometimes it gets barely sprayed and it looks dry sometimes

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 09:16:09 PM »
John,

Did you ever witness the D/90 striping process at the factory?  I'm wondering about the fender masking process in particular at this point.Steve

The D90 fender stripe was painted in the Chevrolet Paint Shop's in-line repair booth, using a die-cut applied mask, tape and paper, where the hood and fenders (and header, fender extensions, and front valance) were mounted on a conveyor buck in car position. The decal "tail" portion of the stripe on the door was installed on the Final Line, after the front sheet metal had been installed and fitted.

Thanks John!

Any idea how they lined-up the door stripes ( decals ) with the painted stripes on the fenders?  Steve Shauger owns a low mileage '69 L/34 SS Camaro
( original paint ) that has the most unique set of fender D/90 stripes I've ever seen.  Someone must have been impaired when they installed the masks
on both fenders.  Perhaps you've seen this car ar the Camaro Nationals before......

Definately one for the "no way that was factory installed" crowd. :o

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 12:27:44 AM »
Thanks John!

Any idea how they lined-up the door stripes ( decals ) with the painted stripes on the fenders?  Steve Shauger owns a low mileage '69 L/34 SS Camaro
( original paint ) that has the most unique set of fender D/90 stripes I've ever seen.  Someone must have been impaired when they installed the masks
on both fenders.  Perhaps you've seen this car ar the Camaro Nationals before......

Definately one for the "no way that was factory installed" crowd. :o

Steve

A simple plastic gage was hung on the door - a flange at the top hooked in the window opening, and they marked the door with a grease pencil at the bottom of the gage. That provided the theoretical up-down location of the "tail" end of the decal. Then the front of the decal was aligned to the end of the fender stripe, and the rear of the decal was aligned to the grease pencil mark; if it didn't look right, they did it "by eye". Lots of opportunity for variation.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 08:11:02 PM »
i have owned and observed lots of these cars, i have never seen gloss glack on tail or rockers.  30% means 70% gloss 30% flatening agent.
that doesn't fly....by your logic 0% gloss (which is dead flat) would be 100% gloss and 0% flattening agent

1969Sicily

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 03:33:09 AM »
When you got the blackout paint does the car have to have the same blackout rocker paint as well or could that be left body color? And I never saw the paint under the rubber molding near the trunk just the edge meeting the quarters

rs/ss camaro collector

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »
i will say this as a painter my self and my father worked for chevrolet in 1962 till 1975 and he said they were sprayed with Laquer with a flattening agent and they appeared semi gloss and that the reason some cars appear glossy now ( the cars with original paint) and i agree from experience is this: Laquer was made to be polished. If you rub something or wipe it or wash it enough over time the Dullest surfaces become very shiny. We have three original un painted RS/SS camaros and they are in fct Semi gloss on the rockers and the tail. :D
brent bridgeman
current projects: 1968 SS 396/AT w/A/C All #'s Matching...............1967 RS convertable 327/Powerglide..............1967 RS coupe 327/AT...............1967 Pro Street Camaro