Author Topic: z-28 hood stripes  (Read 7705 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
z-28 hood stripes
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:40:18 AM »
What colors were available for the stripes on a 69 z-28? I thought I saw somewhere that there was only white and black for the Z's and also Orange for the Pace cars. What about any special order colors? Saw a 69 z that was Maroon/ Black Vinyl roof with dark grey stripes. Supposely original. Any thoughts CRG?

Dave

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: z-28 hood stripes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:53:13 AM »
There were also listed for 69 Red stripes (red cars only). My understanding is you could special order any GM color, but it would have the special -- paint code. If I'm wrong, I will e corrected here.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 03:36:43 AM »
I've never seen any Z with anything other than white or black stripes.

If you look at the burgundy color info, the red stripe is for SS only.
Kurt S
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 02:56:05 PM »
I have seen a burgundy '69 Z with red stripes and the guy had pictures of the car from brand new. Have heard of a black '68 Z with gold stripes and original paint (had P-O-P also) but did not actually get to see the car in person. In my opinion, special paint could include special stripe color.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »
I have seen  a magazine article on the 69 Z burgundy with red stripes maybe 10-15 years ago? Might still have the magazine. I'll give it a look see. Can't remember too much, but as I recall, I was convinced at the time it was real. Maybe it had full owner history, I do not recall. Didn't find the combination really appealing, almost too unusual to be anything but authentic??

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 03:09:08 AM »
I've heard of burgundy Z's with red stripes, but I've not seen proof.

I have seen an original paint burgundy Z with white stripes, still all original. That's proof. :)

It's possible that special Z stripe colors could have been ordered. Not possible on an SS though.

A good question for Jim M or JohnZ.
Kurt S
CRG

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:05:04 PM »
I have only seen photos of a burgundy Z28 with red stripes but never an original car in person.  I suspect that if a customer wanted something like this, the selling dealer would have done it, not the factory.  I worked at a Chevrolet dealer during the early 1970s and they would do anything to sell a car............dealers have body shops too.  That's my personal opinion.

Jerry

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »
So it looks like we've all seen them. I'm confident they're real and I suspect we'll turn up some proof eventually.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 04:22:12 AM »
A few years back, I did email back and forth with a guy who said he was the original owner of a burgundy Z with red stripes. I asked for any early pics but never heard back from him on that topic.

BTW, 69 SS couldn't have special order stripe colors because part of the stripe was a decal.....
Kurt S
CRG

anything