Author Topic: Has this ever happened to you!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 14265 times)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Has this ever happened to you!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 12:36:36 AM »
So john, any reccomendations on tire brand/type to achieve an H rating but retain the RWL look?

There isn't much available in 15" sizes that's speed-rated other than the Pirelli Super Touring 4000 (215/70-15 and a few other sizes - check Tire Rack), and there are NO speed-rated RWL tires.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 01:01:08 AM »
So john, any reccomendations on tire brand/type to achieve an H rating but retain the RWL look?

There isn't much available in 15" sizes that's speed-rated other than the Pirelli Super Touring 4000 (215/70-15 and a few other sizes - check Tire Rack), and there are NO speed-rated RWL tires.

That's waht I thought I was hoping that you might ahave the inside track so to speak ...really like the RWL look but would like the piece of mind that the higher ratings bring (and thanks John for the above, I was previously unawaare of that Nylon layer to hold it together)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 07:26:23 PM »
Most tires that are "H"-rated (and ALL tires that are "Z"-rated) have a nylon cap belt to deal with the higher centrifugal loads and heat encountered with continuous speeds well above 140mph. "S"-rated (112mph) tires, which include ALL the "cosmetic performance" RWL tires, have no such belt to avoid catastrophic belt and tread separation in an aged or poorly-maintained tire. Not a good idea to drive hard on "old" tires.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything