Author Topic: Tall big block valve covers in a 67 camaro  (Read 12189 times)

DesertHugger

• View Profile
Tall big block valve covers in a 67 camaro
« on: July 31, 2007, 11:29:47 PM »
I recently ugraded my camaro's 396 with a solid roller cam, roller rockers, and a stud girdle. With that I need to run a tall vavle cover. The problem I've ran into is the wiper motor will not clear a tall cover. Does anyone have a solution for runnig tall vavle covers while retaining the wiper function? I did try clocking the motor to move it out of the way but the bolt pattern doesn't allow me to use all three mountng screws AND it throws the wiper position off a bunch. HELP!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tall big block valve covers in a 67 camaro
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 08:44:43 PM »
I think Detroit Speed has a smaller wiper motor that clears tall valve covers; have seen posts on it over at www.camaros.net.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 02:52:39 AM »
The Detroit Speed & Engineering wiper motor is expensive: $299.00. Do you really need stud girdles? Unless you plan on racing your car there should be no use for them and then you can run stock height valve covers using a 5/16" gasket or thicker. I have the Comp Cams Magnum full roller rockers on my car with the stock valve covers, and the only reason I run the thick gasket is to clear the lock nuts (poly locks). You can run aftermarket old school M/T or Moon aluminum short valve covers with a stock gasket and they will clear the nuts with no problem. To run stud girdles you have two choices, no wiper motor, which was the only choice in the past, or use DSE's wiper setup. It does work great, used them on two cars here locally. Below is a link to their website............RatPack.......................

http://www.detroitspeed.com/productpages/indproduct/electricalprod/wiper_kit_prod.htm

Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

DesertHugger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys! 
  I looked into the Detroit Speed wiper motor. Looks like a late model camaro wiper motor with a custom arm and a plate to adapt it to the firewall. I think I'll save a couple hundred bucks and hit the local Pick-n-Pull for a wiper motor and metal fab shop for some aluminum plate. Sounds like a fun project. 

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 07:09:43 PM »
how about the old school alu valve cover spacers? They raise the valve cover about an inch
I have seen these on cars but don't recall if it clears the ww motor

DesertHugger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 07:32:33 PM »
That might work. Does anyone have a brand name for valve cover spacers?

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 03:53:01 AM »
Will a late model GM wiper motor work?  I have seen them and they are thin like the DSE one.  Just wondering what mods to the wiring I would need?  Any other mods to consider too?

DesertHugger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 06:36:24 AM »
I'm 99% sure DSE motor is the same as the 1993 and up Camaro motor. The DSE motor arm is a bit longer to accomodate the fact the motor sits flat on the firewall instead of recessed like the original 1967 motor. The DSE motor is just mounted to a flat plate with holes to mount it to the firewall. The switch might be tricky. It's a seven position shaft switch made to work like the original 2 position switch. If you weren't concerned with all the intermittent funtionality you could probably get the stock switch to work the low and high function at least. I already checked with DSE and they will not sell the switch assembly separate. They must know how easy it would be to fab one of these yourself. The other thing to consider is you'd need a seperate washer pump. 

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
You can also get valve cover spacers from a mail order speed shop. 1/4" thick. with the extra gasket they may be high enough but not to high. Would be a lot less modifications.
Sam

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »
I checked the set I have here for a name and found none.
They measure 1.125 inch tall (thickness) with no gaskets

Maybe made by Mr Gasket or Eelco but not sure

anything