Author Topic: Should I pass on this car?  (Read 6252 times)

4birdman

• View Profile
Should I pass on this car?
« on: June 07, 2007, 03:30:00 AM »
From the seller:
"car needs rear shock towers repaired..they are rusty on one side, and completely
gone on the other..floors will need done behind the rear seat where the
shock tower is..drivers side rocker was replaced probably when the other
metal work was done and needs replaced again."

The car looks great, but obviosuly needs a little work. I can get the car pretty cheap, around $4k. The interior looks nice and the body looks pretty straight. I've worked on a few Mustangs where you parted them out when the shock towers were rusted, so I'm not sure how to go with this one.

We have a guy who is donating the welding work, but if it is a ton of work then I think I'll pass.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Should I pass on this car?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 05:39:51 AM »
4birdman -

Pass on this one.  Spend a few thousand dollars more on a clean body and you'll still come out ahead a few thousand dollars when your done.  Just my two cents.   :)

Paul

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 06:11:36 AM »
he's right. a friends shop just got done doing $50,000.00 68 firebird. the owner brougth the cheapest body he could find and had to replace everything. Plus all the work of making it fit and look right.
It's a trail queen now and it looks beautiful but it wasn't worth it. The more you spend on the car up front, the less you have to spend later.

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:34:31 AM »
The car looks extremely nice otherwise, though. It's already had new quarters, floors, and some other work done. No engine, but we've had one donated already, so that's not an issue.

I guess I'll pass, I just hate that this one was right where we can afford and it's got rust like that. Guess we'll wait for a few more donations to come in. :(

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 01:56:03 PM »
This would be a classic example of the question "onlytherich68" enquired about in this forum on June 6th. How far do you go to save matching numbers car.

Dave

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 03:19:23 PM »
This would be a classic example of the question "onlytherich68" enquired about in this forum on June 6th. How far do you go to save matching numbers car.

....and there is no one correct answer - depends on your passion for a particular car or the desire to keep it all original and numbers matching.  The main thing is do not understimate the total resources ($$$, labor [yours and others], etc.)  required to bring the car back to the level of restoration that you desire.  This is probably the most common reason why someone doesn't finish a project.  If you have time, money, facilities, etc,, etc, and want to save a fine ride, that would be great.  Just objectively and carefully analyze what it will take to bring the car back to your level of restoration if you decide to bring it home.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 03:23:21 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »
I'm gonna pass up on this one. I found a 69 for the same price that is pretty much rust-free. No engine or trans, but we had those donated so that's not a problem.

I was hoping to find a car that wasn't numbers matching, since this is gonna be a resto-rod with an updated suspension and late-model drivetrain.

Let's just hope I can bring this 69 home soon!