Author Topic: There is Only One Logical Reason..........  (Read 10387 times)

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
There is Only One Logical Reason..........
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:25:35 PM »
There is only one logical reason why so many people are willing to pay so much for a cowl tag.  This has nothing to do with restoring.  At the end of the day, cloning with the intent to purposely deceive will be front and center.

Look at how much a Z28/RS cowl tag is going for! >:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Camaro-RS-DZ-302-Z28-Cowl-Tag_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80736QQihZ004QQitemZ140124539737QQrdZ1
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Ron C.

• View Profile
Re: There is Only One Logical Reason..........
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:29:18 PM »
The only thing we can do is note down all the tags that are sold without the cars and when we see that tag attached to a car send out a warning notice.
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:43:57 PM »
I sent an e-mail to eBay Motors customer support expressing my concern about how eBay is being used to facilitate this activity.  Also note, the bidders are all participating in a "private" listing.  They don't want us to know who they are either.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

cjm465

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 09:48:51 PM »
Don't forget to mention a fake tag as I see it.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 05:10:35 AM »
I sent an e-mail to eBay Motors customer support expressing my concern about how eBay is being used to facilitate this activity.  Also note, the bidders are all participating in a "private" listing.  They don't want us to know who they are either.

Nice job Rich!  Ebay pulled the listing.   ;)

Paul

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 06:18:12 AM »
please don't jump down my neck but i was think about collecting old trim tages. im not a cloner. i would just put them in a scape book. kind of like hanging old plates on the wall. i thought it would be neat. it is a shame how many people are out there screwing people. is there any legal problem that could come from collecting them. i know there would be if it was vin numbers.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
Richard, did you get a response from Ebay?

Camaromikey, at least, if you are collecting them, no one else can get them to stick on a car falsely.  But would you be willing to give one up at a fair price, if it could be put back with the right car?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 01:52:58 PM »
How do you determine if the cowl tag is the right one for a car? I would think it would be easier to put a different cowl tag on a car than change the vin tag.Or am I missing something?

Dave

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 03:08:40 PM »
please don't jump down my neck but i was think about collecting old trim tages. im not a cloner. i would just put them in a scape book. kind of like hanging old plates on the wall. i thought it would be neat. it is a shame how many people are out there screwing people. is there any legal problem that could come from collecting them. i know there would be if it was vin numbers.

Camaromikey - Nothing wrong at all with collecting trim tags, I've considered it myself.  This one, though, was very obvious (at least in my mind) that fraud, not collecting would be the end result.  I doubt that anyone simply collecting trim tags would pay $2K for one.

I haven't received any formal response from eBay.  But if the listing is gone, that is main thing.  Problem is that the seller and the "private bidder(s)" can still contact each other now that they know about each other and arrange for a transaction outside of eBay...which is a possible outcome as well.

Hopefully we will be on the lookout in the future for the following tag:

ST 69  12437    NOR225087BDY
TR 712             10  10  PNT
     01E             X33

and recognize that it came off of some other car.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 03:14:03 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »
in all honestry, what i was hopeing to do was collect ones from all the different muscles cars. i was just going to get the ones that were no more then $10.00. and yes any and all that i collected i would post pictures here so they could be recorded. also if by some chance someone does have the car they belong too. I would just give it to them in spirit of the hobby. heck whats ten bucks

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 06:36:16 PM »
I'm not sure but couldn't you match a trim tag to a car with the build sheet. Not sure if the sequence number is on a build sheet or not.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 08:02:22 PM »
Richard, did you get a response from Ebay?

I just received a response from eBay where they let me know two things:  1) that they were in the process of investigating my concern, when 2) the listing was pulled.  I assume they must have received other complaints as well. 

They did include the following standard paragraph on how to provide input to them re: suspicious postings.
In the future, you may also report this kind of listings directly to our Trust and Safety team using the link "report this item" at the bottom of the item page. For additional reporting options please go to the main "Security Center" page, at: http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/?ssPageName=home:f:f:US
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:09:03 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 11:18:38 PM »
How do you determine if the cowl tag is the right one for a car? I would think it would be easier to put a different cowl tag on a car than change the vin tag.Or am I missing something?

Dave

No, you're not particularly missing something.  The spirit of my question was more "would you be willing to do what is best for the hobby?"  I realize it would be blind luck.  But with diligent research, I've seen stranger things happened for collectors of pre-war cars.  We may wind up in that mode soon.  It will be great if that same spirit of preservation and comradery will prevail for Camaro owners.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director