CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 11:50:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
103839 Posts in 12195 Topics by 4704 Members
Latest Member: MICKIES69
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  Source for 1968 underhood finishes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Source for 1968 underhood finishes  (Read 3033 times)
Stewie

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2007, 08:17:19 AM »

Hi guys, I haven't been around for a couple of years since I sold my 69 Z.  I currently own a 68 Coupe that is going to be a cruise night car.  The previous owner has squirted copious amount of gloss black under the hood..
I am in the process of detailing under the hood, but I have no references for the 68 Camaro.  I am looking for an online source that will give me the finishes on, inner fenders, rad support, hood hinges, hood latches, heater box, firewall and sub frame.  I don't plan on pulling the engine or taking it completely apart.   
The end result will be a mild modified engine compartment with some stock looking details. 
Any help would be appreciated.   The booster and MC are new so I don't need those.
Thanks for any help
Oh yea don't let the newbie status fool you I have been around this forum for years, just not lately!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 08:21:27 AM by Stewie » Logged
Jerry@CHP
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 08:40:42 AM »

Really nothing available on the Internet.  I do have an appendix in my '69 Camaro fact book that covers a lot of these finishes for all three years.  Go to my web site for details.  www.z28camaro.com.

Jerry
Stewie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable people around here could give me a rought idea what they should be.  I know I had them in my 69 book by Hooper, but I gave it with my Z when I sold it because there were two pictures of my car in the book.
I am planning on working oin it this week.
Stewie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 06:14:25 AM »

Now I know why I don't come here anymore.  Not much help.  Other than Jerry hawking his books!
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:05:40 AM »

Stewie,

I'm two hundred miles from my Hooper book right now.  If you can wait a week, I'll be glad to post those references from his page on finishes.  I know exactly what you are talking about, but I'd be afraid to quote from memory...

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
Planning 2016 Sentimental Tour, AACA (and restoring a 40 Buick Special for it)
AACA Southeastern Division Spring Meet Chair
"Charlotte AutoFair, presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA, is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast USA."
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »

Now I know why I don't come here anymore.  Not much help.  Other than Jerry hawking his books!

Not everything is available instantly on-line; those who are interested in accuracy of the details generally spend a few bucks for references to work from.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
Stewie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 09:41:10 PM »

John I understand what you are saying. I have gained priceless information from you in the past, drawing on your 40 plus years of experience with the Camaro.   I guess I should have put it this way.  The car is not a concourse resto, and I am looking for what products people have been using to achieve the underhood finishes.  For example could a spray gray be substituted for the 55 dollar can of grey phosphate or, who makes a decent semi gloss black in a rattle can etc.  My last 69 was an unrestored original so I didn't really need to know the finishes.  I have a pretty good idea of what finishes go where.
By the time I find a copy of Jerry's book up here I will have the job done.
It was just such a blantant plug for his books that is all!
I have gained a lot by asking questions online, and I usually get a pretty straight set of answers. 
But if you guys make it a criteria that you have to have bought the book, before you will comment then what is the reason for having a forum? 

DANW

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 01:32:21 AM »

http://www.67z28.com/finishes.htm
Stewie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 05:45:47 AM »

Thanks Dan. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: