Author Topic: 1967 rear leaf springs  (Read 5659 times)

1967RS

• View Profile
1967 rear leaf springs
« on: May 27, 2007, 11:56:38 PM »
I have a 67 rs with what appears to be stock 14x6 or 7 camaro rally wheels and 205x70 tires.The car has a mono leaf suspension with traction bars.I noticed that after installing the traction bars the rear of the car sits higher (too much space between the top of the tire and the fender well) If I switch to multi-leaf springs will this lower the car? I put the traction bars on due to severe wheel hop. Classic Industries sells as set of mult-leaf springs that will lower the car by 1 1/2 inches? Basically I would like the rear of the car to sit level with the front keeping the 14 inch wheels. I'm open to any suggestions,Thanks
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 04:13:32 PM by 1967RS »

Wallace

• View Profile
Re: 1967 rear leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:56:34 PM »
I run multileaf springs on my 69 SS 396. and they work well.  I would check your shocks, and if they are "soft" replace them.  I have had good luck with the shocks made by Edelbrock, especially on the heavy front end of my car.  At one point I considered installing traction bars on my car, but the spring shop that I go to advised me against it saying that they put adverse stress on the springs.  I don't know if that is true, but I left them off and  I have no wheel hop and my car sets level.

Wallace

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 rear leaf springs
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 03:22:27 AM »
If the traction bars made the car sit higher you need to get some air between the snubber and the spring! They should not have raised the car at static rest. The snubber needs an air gap to make the traction bars work properly--1/4" is a good place to start. Just cut the rubber bumpers with a hacksaw. Monoleaf springs ride better than multi-leafs and for my part are just as good, but multi-leafs are better at stopping wheel-hop without traction bars. As a general rule, the multi-leafs WILL raise the ride height about 1" over monoleafs if you switch. Just rememeber if you do decide to change the springs you'll have to pull the rearend and have the monoleaf springs perches removed and multileaf perches welded on. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior