Author Topic: Chassis Lubrication  (Read 5107 times)

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
Chassis Lubrication
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »
This may sound like an elementary question, but what is the correct interval to lubricate the chassis? I put about 1500 miles per summer and store the car from December to April. I doubt that the factory recommended 4 months or 6000 miles applies. Thanks for your help.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chassis Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »
The original lube interval for the grease fittings on the ball joints and steering linkage was every 4 months or 6,000 miles; with the usage you mentioned, once every couple of years would work fine - that's what I do, with about half the miles you accumulate.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »
John is right, but let me say, I do my 68 every year (and change the oil) and drive about 2000 miles.  It's not that expensive... gives you a chance to look under the car before you start up for the season.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:14:53 PM »
When I have my oil changed, my chassis is lubed at that time. It is part of the service. So when I change it in 200 miles( new rebuild) it will be done if needed, when I change it in 500 miles it will be done if needed.

Dave

Wallace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »
I probably don't put more than 1500 miles a year on my 69, but I change the oil and lube the car every four months (if it needs it or not).  I figure it is cheap insurance, especially if I have driven through water or dusty roads.  Low mileage cars tend to contaminate the oil more with water contamination, because the are often not driven long enough to dirve off the contaminants.  I also don't trust chasis lubricants over time because I have seen the oil separate in the cartridges, and I assume that happens in the suspension fittings also.

Wallace