Author Topic: Catalytic converters on 69' Camaro !  (Read 10108 times)

realss

• View Profile
Catalytic converters on 69' Camaro !
« on: December 18, 2005, 07:56:24 AM »
I have a 69' Camaro that I'm having a hell of a time getting through emissions . So I thought I'd bolt in a couple cats. They would only be used the day of the test ! Does anyone know what I should look for in picking the right ones ?  My exhaust system is bolted together (nothing welded) so they will be removed shortly after the test. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  Jay
"there's no replacement for displacement"

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Catalytic converters on 69' Camaro !
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 03:44:40 PM »
What state do you live in that requires emission testing on a 36-year-old car? Even California doesn't require it on cars prior to 1976.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 05:06:17 PM »
Here in Wisconsin [Milwaukee & 3 adjoining counties] 1968-up must go through emissions testing unless the car has collectors tags, available to vehicles over 20 years old. Applying for collector status requires a final test. Rural areas generally do not require testing.

HP cars can be a problem. I have heard of all sorts of schemes such as testing the car with a different engine.
Learning more and more about less and less...

realss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 06:50:31 PM »
I live in AZ ,were a few years behind here. This state is not very car friendly , there are alot of nice cars here that don't hardly see the light of day because there are not very many car things to do. Cruising has been outlawed at all the old cruise spots. There are some cruis-ins but only a few and even they disapear from time to time.

Thanks
Jay
"there's no replacement for displacement"

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 07:36:52 PM »
did you try to lean out the carburator as much as possible?also make sure you use a hot spark plug so all the fuel gets burned.if your heads are in good condition (no bad valve seats) you should be able to reduce the bad emissions.you can also try a high energy ignition system but that would cost some $$ and include a distributor swap.I would try the high energy ignition before modifying my exhaust. :)
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 05:01:45 AM »
i don't know if its available in your area but there is a product called "Guarenteed To Pass" its alcohol based and makes the engine burn super clean(because of the alcohol) u add it to your tank with recommended amount of gas.i gutted my catalytic converter on my 96 F350 w/460f/i and it wouldn't pass. years ago we used to retard the timing to around 4/6 degrees and lean the carb out and they'd pass. i couldn't lean out the fuel injection on the truck so i retarded the timing add 2 containers of dry gas(its the same as the "Guaranteed To Pass") (alcohol) to about 10 gallons of gas and she was burning oh so clean passed the sniffer and the dyno test.give it a try all u can do if fail,dry gas is cheap and won't hurt anything,if u have a 69 camaro i assume u have a timing light about 4-6 degrees of timing should do it and your on your way.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 11:53:23 PM »
I live in AZ ,were a few years behind here. This state is not very car friendly , there are alot of nice cars here that don't hardly see the light of day because there are not very many car things to do. Cruising has been outlawed at all the old cruise spots. There are some cruis-ins but only a few and even they disapear from time to time.

Thanks
Jay

Your governor just signed a bill into law about three months ago that exempts classic/collectible cars over 25-30 years old from the emission requirements; isn't it in effect yet?
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Classicgary

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 12:09:50 AM »
I'm not understanding something. '69 Camaro's DID NOT have cats on 'em when NEW. Why is the state making you put 'em on now. Or is this something you want to do to make the car pass the test. 'Cause now it's not gonna pass a visual test. Here in New Mexico (well Albuquerque), we gotta pass, as the law was current, for the year of the car. Just wondering.......

anything