Author Topic: Oil additive  (Read 11350 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Oil additive
« on: May 11, 2007, 03:42:42 PM »
68Z28

zdld17

• View Profile
Re: Oil additive
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »
Sounds like a knock off of Marvel Mystery Oil.
Don Dabbs

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:03:18 PM »
I just wondered if it had the ZDDP or whatever was taken out of the oil for cats.  It sure doesn't say what's in it.
68Z28

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 07:45:33 PM »
I have not tried that additive. I am using their Octane Supreme 130. I am not sure if I will continue once I finish what I bought. I initially used it to get past tuning my 302. We only have 91 octane in California so I wanted to get to 93 to be safe. JohnZ and others say pump premium is safe to run in a stock 302.

Isn't zinc the important aditive most oils are missing today?

http://www.batterystuff.com/fuel-treatments/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 02:39:12 PM by GaryL »
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 04:48:21 AM »
That's what I was hoping someone would tell me.  And if this stuff has it.
68Z28

zdld17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 01:13:55 PM »
If you are looking for zinc in motor oil,  you can find it in the race type oils that have statements on this, from what I have been reading.   Race cars don't have cats so there is no replacement liability here. I haven't found any labels on race oil bottles so once I see it, I will believe.
Don Dabbs

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »
I don't know where this "internet legend" about oil companies being liable for people putting the wrong oil in their car came from, but it's not true.

If an oil container has the API service grade "SL" or "SM" on it, it's conventional spark-ignition oil, with the reduced level of ZDDP in it mandated by the EPA.

Any of the diesel oils (Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, etc.) have the API service grade "CI-4" or "CJ-4", and have plenty of ZDDP to protect flat-tappet cams.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 03:45:47 PM »
Since there is much discussion regarding the missing zinc, I have printed some of the related messages for a friend nearing completion of his  Mopar. He had not heard of this. Is it fair to presume these concerns apply to most muscle cars, or is this a chevy problem due to different oiling methods, etc?

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

zdld17

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 07:11:17 PM »
I don't know where this "internet legend" about oil companies being liable for people putting the wrong oil in their car came from, but it's not true.

If an oil container has the API service grade "SL" or "SM" on it, it's conventional spark-ignition oil, with the reduced level of ZDDP in it mandated by the EPA.

Any of the diesel oils (Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, etc.) have the API service grade "CI-4" or "CJ-4", and have plenty of ZDDP to protect flat-tappet cams.

True John, Its my understanding that even the newer C oils are being reduced in their component of zinc.  I even ran across a topic of the possibility of cats being added to newer diesels.   Seems the oil companies are liable for replacements of cats as the zinc and other compounds, are plugging up cats.   I have never seen the documentation but it is as you are saying "internet legends"  .   Seems to be more discussion of the topic on the Team Camaro board. 
Here is just one of th many topics that recognize the missing additive problem.
http://www.dctra.org/?p=79

An yet another article indicating the removal of Zddp in the diesel oils. 
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/index.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:17:19 PM by zdld17 »
Don Dabbs

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 04:52:52 PM »
The ZDDP hasn't been "removed" from the diesel oils. The long-standing CI-4 diesel oils have had around 1500ppm of ZDDP for years, and the new CJ-4 formulation has had the ZDDP content reduced to around 1100-1200ppm due to the addition of converters and/or particulate traps on the 2008 diesel engines subject to the new Tier II diesel emission regulations. The CJ-4 diesel oils still have FAR more ZDDP than any of the SL or SM conventional oils, and will provide the protection required.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 01:59:29 AM »
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Here is another article. Seems to indicate that Rotella oil could be lower than 1100 ppm. Two different sources say 2 different things in this article. Looks like Boron might be additional help. I am betting on the Rotella 10w30 I bought. Maybe I should invest in a lifetime supply now.
Gary

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 06:02:29 AM »
Gary, did you put that up on TC?   Someone did.  I read it and found it very interesting.
68Z28

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 12:19:29 PM »
Gary, did you put that up on TC?   Someone did.  I read it and found it very interesting.
I brought it over.

I am curious if STP or another additive would be called for once ZDDP levels fall further.
Gary

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
In that article, farther down, they said the EOS could be used to up the ZDDP levels, but to use no more than 1 bottle.  If 1 bottle wasn't enough, ie. use of a low-level ZDDP oil, to use an oil with higher ZDDP.  I've always used Redline and saw their older formulations had high ZDDP levels and the new ones were lower.  I know a rep here and he assured me that they had enough in their oils to protect engines.  Of course he isn't going to say it's crap, but I will ask if I can get some info.  It sould be nice to have somebody really get the bottom line on this.
68Z28

anything