Author Topic: I found out my car was a AHRA world record holder,how can you look it up?  (Read 9050 times)

Chris_Pisane

• View Profile
Hi

,my 69 JL8 Z/28 car is done finally done.
.Im getting ready to go its first car show and am Im putting a little photo album together.My Uncle who owned the car in the early 70s let me copy some of the pictures he had.He also produced a AHRA world record certificate from 6-1-74. It says.....
WORLD RECORD HOLDER
 as certified by
MOTOR SPORTS INTERNATIONAL
MARK PISANE
This is to certify that the above named racer has been awarded the World Racing Record by Motor Sports International for the event listed below.

This record symbolizes an excellence in mechanical achievement, a perfection in driving ability, and a valued contribution to motorsports

Name of race AHRA RECORD RUN

It was for class 2-M, at I-55,Pevely Mo., e/t 8.39 date ,6-1-74, 1/8 mile,speed 85.96 mph. It is signed by James Jire? president, and Stamped name of Don Wormsley Executive director.

He always told me it had a speed record,I didnt know world record.Is there any way to look it up on the net? I googled but came up with nothing.thanks.
Chris Pisane....Fathom green 69 z/28 ,Lemans blue 69 JL8 Z/28 http://cpisane.photosite.com/

CNorton

• View Profile
Chris,

AHRA has been defunct for many years, probably since the mid-seventies.  Unless someone has a list of record holders from that era stashed away in their private papers I doubt that you will find further documentation.  The president of AHRA was JIM TICE.  During most of the time Jim owned the organization it was headquartered in Kansas City although I recall that it was sold and operated for a time by someone else after his death.  It has been a long time since I thought about their classification system but I recall that the "2" may have stood for the fact that the car had solid lifters and a single, four-barrel carburetor.  "1"  would have been solid lifters and multiple carburetion while "3" would have designated some other combination of induction and camshaft configuration.  The "M" would have been the designation for the weight-to-horsepower ratio. 

Unfortunately, AHRA was much more loosely configured than NHRA and the record-keeping system never made it to the world of computers.  In fact, there are probably relatively few people around remember anything at all about it. 

Good luck,

c

Iluv69s

• View Profile
how about NHRA records...my camaro is supposedly a NHRA world record holder in 1970...how can I find out about that? Are the records available   thanks

CNorton

• View Profile
Information about old NHRA records will probably be easier to find although you'll need to do some digging.  As far as I know, there are no repositories of past Stock and Super Stock records for any of the racing organizations in spite of the fact that NHRA has an Official Museum.  NHRA is clearly in the business of making money exploiting the Fuel Cars these days and they could care less about the "good old days" and door-slammers.  Your answers are most likely to be found through someone who has the stash of information (and there are people out there who have it) on Stock and Super Stock cars as far back as the late '50s.  The search will be less complicated if you can provide some basic information such as the name of the owner/driver of the car at the time it was raced, pictures of the car when it was raced, the general area of the country where the car was campaigned, the engine/class combination it ran, etc.  If you have all that or some of that you might be able to jog the memory of the right people.  Most of the Stock/Super Stock geezers like me monitor a message board at www.Classracer.com.  A few polite inquiries posted on that message board might bring forth more information than you can imagine or then again, maybe not.  NHRA historical information is available to a significantly greater degree than that of AHRA but almost all of it, especially that pertaining to stock-bodied cars will be in the hands of racers and fans, not the Association.

Chuck

anything