Poll

This question was brought up on NastyZ28 a second gen site. What was the top level of first generation Camaro, the SS or the Z/28?

SS was top level Camaro
Z/28 was top level Camaro
not sure

Author Topic: What was the top Camaro? SS or Z/28  (Read 18385 times)

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
What was the top Camaro? SS or Z/28
« on: May 14, 2007, 05:12:19 AM »
  This is how it was presented on the Nastyz28 second gen site so I presented it the same way here. At this time on that site most people feel that the SS was the top level of first gen Camaro. My personal opinion is it depended on what you wanted, the Z/28 was the better all round car, while the SS 396 would be the better stop light to stop light car. What started the debate on the second gen site was when the Camaro returns in 2009 what should the top performance model be, Z/28 or SS?

Thanks for your replys.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: What was the top Camaro? SS or Z/28
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 11:05:27 AM »
I would think the COPO's were the top factory 1st gen, followed by the Z.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:38:43 PM »
 Well, ...As you mentioned, it really depends. The SS was top as far as horsepower, ...the Z was top as being an SCCA racer. Take a look at the 4th gen cars, ...a Z28 was 'upfitted' to an SS (hence SS might be considered 'top' there).
   I know you're looking for an answer as to which would be considered 'top', ...but it really depends on who you ask, ...and what is 'top' to them. These days, 'hp' is touted quite a bit, ...so I'd guess "SS" would come out on top in an opinion poll.

If Chevrolet does keep both labels for the 5th gen, ...I think (in holding the heritage of the names) the right choice would be for the SS to be on top with regard to horsepower, ...and the Z to have the handling suspension upgrades available for track use. I'm sure there will be 'packages' available where there will be a lot of overlap (ie. hp, suspension, both, etc.) but that's how it is these days.

Kevin

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 01:54:35 PM »
When Camaro first came out in the '67 model year I'd say that the SS was "Top Dog"...of course the Z/28 was not yet offrered.  Then the Z came out and as it ran in Trans Am it gained recognition it started to catch up to the SS.  By '69 the Z/28 was "Top Dog"...if you look at Chevy's marketing the Z definitely supercedes SS from '68 up.  Z/28 is the "brand" that is most recognized as a Camaro item - in fact as a legend in American car names (jsut as T/A became)...the SS was dropped after '72 but the Z continues (with a two year hiatus) until the end of the production run in 2003.   

If you look at sales of vehicles now, Z's consistantly fetch big dollars and are in constant demand.  They were one of the early Camaros to "catch on" as collector cars...SS lags behind.

As far as stop light to stop light, well ask Jerry M, Old Reliable turns some pretty impressive numbers now as it did in the day...numbers that a 396/375 car would be pressed to match.

I don't think that the COPO cars, or ZL-1's or Nickey, or Yenko should count.  Dealer mod-ed, back door, etc....one had to be a racer in the know to go after some of these variants or have the bucks to pay for the after purchase upgrades....would a Callaway corvette be in the running for top corvette?  Or early AMG Hammer Mercedes for that mark?

and last, the guys on Nasty Z/28 who whine (by and large) about the SS being "Top Dog" are those who own the 2nd gen BB cars...they are miffed that Z's fetch more money and attention.   So if they can establish the BB 1st gen cars as "Top Dogs" then they can carry it over to 2nd gens.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 02:15:25 PM »
So far, in a sense, everybody is right.  It really depends on how you define performance.  If I just had to decide, I'd say Z.  As far as the 2009, they will probably call their top performer, the Camaro MPG...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 02:47:59 PM »
Hey ggtsvnv,

since I rarely or never visit the BS section on Nasty Z/28 I hadn't looked at the thread you mention...I see that you covered some of the same ground I did above...so don't take my comments personally.

zdld17

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 03:38:46 PM »
For 2009, GM needs to get their case moving if they don't want to become Toyota .   Ford is coming out with all these good looking Shelby cars and must say,  they do look good.  Just wonder how many potential camaro customers GM has lost by not getting these platforms out. 
Don Dabbs

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 03:42:45 PM »
IMO based on what options were available from the "factory"  for the first generation  Z and SS ,it would have to be the SS.

Dave

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 05:19:19 PM »
Definitely the Z/28!  Try shifting a SS at 8600 rpm and see how long it last!   ;)

Paul

67camarorsss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 08:14:23 PM »
For a nicely optioned (power windows and A/C for instance) car it was hard to beat a 396/325 car. Not bad stop light to stop light (with the right tranny and gears) and you could order options to your hearts delight. It just depends on what you wanted: Brutal acceleration and handling (Z28), just brutal acceleration (396/375 and all COPO cars) or a semi-brutal cruiser with creature comforts (396/325). As we all know, back in the day ALL of these combos were available if you checked the right boxes.
- 1967 RS/SS 396/TH400 (loaded clone restification)
- 1998 Z28 LS1/M6 (daily driver)
- 2002 Z28 LS1/4L60E (12 sec toy/bookend to the 67)

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 09:34:39 PM »
I have a 69 Z/28 which I love. I was there back in the old days. The Z was maybe pushed and advertised a little harder but no way as popular as the 375 horse SS. Come on, with a set of headers, 7" slicks and a little distribitor and carb work that car ran easy 11.40's. There was NO contest. I am still a SB man and will always be one but the proof is in the pudding! ;D

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 10:46:51 PM »
I have a 69 Z/28 which I love. I was there back in the old days. The Z was maybe pushed and advertised a little harder but no way as popular as the 375 horse SS. Come on, with a set of headers, 7" slicks and a little distribitor and carb work that car ran easy 11.40's. There was NO contest. I am still a SB man and will always be one but the proof is in the pudding! ;D

Only 4800 L78 and 20,000 Z/28. No way was L78 more popular. ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 03:19:52 AM by GaryL »
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 11:03:52 PM »
FlowJoe: No offence taken.

My opinion is they were/are both great cars, but the Z/28 was the better all around performance package. The L89/L78 & L34 SS 396's were very quick and great drag/stoplight to stoplight cars but didn't handel like the Z/28. It just came down to what you wanted.

I did not intend to start any arguments, and please keep the opinions comming.

Thanks

Oh by the way at this time on NastyZ28 the Z28 has a slight lead.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 01:20:56 AM »
Z hands down, but I'm not prejudiced.

68 Z28
68Z28

MB302RS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 01:37:28 AM »
I started buying and driving 69 camaros in 1977 ,by that time they were just 9yr old used cars. But in the circles I traveled in you only raised eyebrows if you had a Z28. My first was a X44 350 NOM hugger orange 4 speed car,and even back then it took me over a year to find a Z28 to buy. Stopped for gas on the way home from picking it up and a guy offerd me 900.00 more than I had just paid. I had friends with SSs and none got any attention when I pulled up in the Z. They all could out run me red light to red light, but that could never match the mystique of that dusk blue RS/Z28. I think it was because the SS label was shared with Impala,Nova,Chevelle ,and later Monte carlos and trucks. It  was just not as exclusive,  a Z28 was a High Proformance camaro period. Oh , I guess you can tell my vote went to the Z. But I have to admit I love them all.
X33 rs Z28    , Mike