Author Topic: 69 RS Z28 Rally Sport emblem question  (Read 876 times)

jg302

• View Profile
69 RS Z28 Rally Sport emblem question
« on: March 29, 2024, 03:42:07 AM »
Curious, if anyone would know, would a 69 RS Z28 ever have come from Chevrolet with a Camaro emblem on the fender rather than the Rally Sport emblem?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 RS Z28 Rally Sport emblem question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 02:06:39 PM »
Emblem specification and fender piercing was performed on the Chevrolet side during final assembly, per the Body Broadcast Copy. Normative practice for the combination of options was rally-sport fender badging and an rs emblem for the standard steering wheel [some very early production cars also had an RS grille emblem]. If both fenders had been pierced incorrectly and painted, it is possible inspection would have allowed it.

No matter, it would have been considered an error.

Early COPO RS were built with Camaro front fender emblems, later revised to rally-sport emblems.
Learning more and more about less and less...

jg302

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 04:34:03 PM »
Understood, thank you. The advertisement for the car (written and within the video) states that the car is a documented RS Z28 and it has all the original - as it left the factory - sheetmental.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 04:39:14 PM »
That's a good question that I have asked before, since I remember a friend back in the '70's that had a RS-Z-28 without the Rally Sport emblem on the fender and it was a very original car, and my RS-28 had the RS emblem so IMO, I believe some RS-28's came that way.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 08:08:20 PM »
Send the link so the Kangaroo Court empaneled here can provide guidance.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 08:38:47 PM »
You can believe what you want, but I think they did stuff like this just to mess with us 60 years later. I have cars that are 110 years old and we find it all the time.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 11:02:58 PM »
Already sold?

jg302

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 11:14:52 PM »
Yup. I was just curious if anyone has ever seen a Camaro emblem rather than the traditional Rally Sport emblem.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 03:54:54 AM »
Are these differences found on cars from both plants?

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 02:04:00 PM »
Understood, thank you. The advertisement for the car (written and within the video) states that the car is a documented RS Z28 and it has all the original - as it left the factory - sheetmental.

That is not what the ad says at all. All it says it original metal, which can mean a lot of things. You added the "as it left the factory" part. This car has a lot of parts changed out from what it came out of the factory with.

It's also a repaint, so all bets are off. Often when cars are repainted the holes get covered and located later, unless the car is undergoing a meticulous restoration, which this one obviously did not get.

Numbers look good to me, and it's probably a nice driver. Anyone remember the asking price in the ad?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 02:08:50 PM »
There is zero proof that is original sheet metal. The car has been 'restored/repainted' all bets are off.

There are many claims about how ‘original’ the car is yet the ducted hood was added, master cylinder, booster, rear springs, shocks, sound system and speakers are aftermarket replacements. The RS headlamp washer system, AIR system and clock are missing. Rear stripes are incorrect, steering wheel isn’t original. Trunk mat doesn’t belong; no 1st Gen Camaro had a spare tire cover. Has headers and a muffler shop exhaust system. Dash pad is badly warped, fuel tank is damaged, bell housing is not original. 

In my 49 years of 1969 Camaros, I have yet to examine a real RS-Z/28 built with Camaro fender emblems. I have explained how it may have occurred. Last year an original paint Z/28-RS also built at Norwood a few weeks earlier was found in the AZ desert, rally-sport fender emblems intact.       

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 02:53:09 PM »
Seller also claims the interior: "I think for the most part it's original".
Like most Frost Green cars, this one left the factory with a green interior. And now it's black. So there is that.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 03:23:31 PM »
Actually, some of it is still green. But dash repainted, seats look black.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 04:43:56 PM »
My thinking is that this car is a flip, restored by someone / company that simply doesn't know better - AND - made for buyers who don't know any better.

Plus  - Its sold. 

The person who bought this car won't be too happy if / when they call JMN to certify it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 05:52:02 PM by camaronut »