CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2014, 04:42:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
106672 Posts in 12435 Topics by 4791 Members
Latest Member: DEL
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  Synthetic oil or not
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Synthetic oil or not  (Read 2782 times)
DonSTP

68-RS

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:01:03 PM »

Anyone have any suggestions about using synthetic engine oil?  I'm about to do the first oil change on my 68-RS 327 and I'm not sure if using synthetic on these older engines is a good idea. 

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Undecided
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »

There's certainly no financial justification for paying the premium for synthetics when you consider the care and low mileage accumulation our cars see between changes. The primary advantage of synthetics is their resistance to oxidation at high temperatures, which isn't an issue in non-racing usage. Use whatever makes you feel good, but don't expect to see any difference between dino oil and synthetic in normal street operation.

"Marketing, son, marketing - that's where the money is."   Roll Eyes

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
rich69rs

LF7/M35/Z22/Z87

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:18:14 PM »

I concur with John and I will also add that I have made the decision to use Mobil 1 in both my '66 Chevelle and my '69 RS which has a 327/210 hp engine.  Probably no advantage to doing so with the low mileage useage, but it isn't going to hurt either.  And I'm willing to pay the additional cost for the synthetic product for whatever advantage I may enjoy by using synthetic oil.

Richard Thomas
1969 RS
DonSTP

68-RS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 10:44:52 PM »

Thanks guys for the feedback. 

The owner of the auto shop store I spoke with said a real advantage of using synthetics is you don't get "cold starts" or said another way, synthetics adhere better and you get better lubrication at initial ignition vs traditional motor oil.

I agree marketing is powerful but as an engineer myself I look to the data and that's what I'm looking for here.  Perhaps I need to dig elsewhere to get the raw facts.

Thanks again!
Don

Jerry@CHP
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 04:06:53 PM »

Another note here, the synthetics will leak like a sive.  I use them in my race car (Royal Purple) and every time I take the car out of the trailer, I have to clean up oil droppings on the trailer floor.  The older engines were not designed for the new thinner oils. 

Also, do not use synthetics in a Muncie 4-speed.  Have had a few customers do it and it tears up the blocking rings in the gear box.  We will not guarantee any Muncie that we rebuild if the customer uses synthetic oil.

Jerry
68Zproject

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 11:50:28 PM »

Got a suggestion for non-synthetic oil for the Muncie?

68Z28
Jerry@CHP
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 06:38:26 AM »

Yes, 75-90 or 80-90 Castrol, Pennsoil, Valvolene, Kendall, etc.  All of the major brands are good.

If someone chooses to use the synthetics in their Muncie 4-speeds, there will be problems.  Trust me.

Jerry
GaryL

Marilyn and me

gandmal
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 09:44:51 AM »

Isn't there an issue with the newer rating vs. the older rating for the oil used in Muncies. My memory is a little fuzzy here, but I am thinking use GL-4 not GL-5? Something to do with damaging the syncros?

Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.
68Zproject

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 12:35:06 AM »

If someone chooses to use the synthetics in their Muncie 4-speeds, there will be problems.  Trust me.

Jerry

I was going to, thanks for the heads up.

68Z28
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: