Author Topic: Show chrome plating Legends Judging  (Read 1085 times)

john302

• View Profile
Show chrome plating Legends Judging
« on: March 20, 2024, 06:16:07 PM »
I heard if your car has show chrome platin you have a points deduction . Legends Judging . Anyone have there car judged and lost points?

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: Show chrome plating Legends Judging
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 06:36:31 PM »
Lots of GM parts were only flash chromed. I could see them doing that...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 12:35:46 AM »
My chrome has show chrome on handles, bumpers, handles, etc. and I did not receive any deductions. NCRS does deduct for show chrome as our 68 had deduction for each bumper and distributor shield.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 04:45:34 PM »
I don't think anything has ever been deducted for show chrome. Have seen deductions for scratches, rub marks, and fit. Nothing for being too shiny. Deductions are made for stainless fuel / brake lines. Legends Manual also doesn't say anything about deducting for show chrome. Would like to learn the source for this

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 07:12:47 PM »
I think it would be hard to replicate the lousy flash chrome on BB valve covers.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 08:39:54 PM »

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 08:53:15 PM »
I understand, I worked in a company that did chrome plating. What I meant was BB valve covers looked bad when they were new because they were polished correctly or copper plated. It would be hard to make anything new look that bad.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 01:44:25 AM »
At Legends Judging MCACN in November, the early 69 Cortez Camaro RS/Z used triple chrome plating on everything that would normally be chromed and in my opinion it appeared too bright and not true to GM factory appearance or practice. To clarify terms, “triple chrome” or “show chrome” consists of a base layer of copper (normally polished), followed by a layer of nickel then a final plated layer of chrome. “GM Chrome” (a term coined by John Z) or “street chrome”, which GM used in production, used nickel and chrome plate layers only, the copper base layer was eliminated. This produces a duller finish with a blue tint. “Flash chrome” is a layer of chrome plating applied to polished stainless steel with no copper or nickel. It’s often used on stainless window trim. As chrome is almost transparent on its own, it enhances the shine / brilliance of stainless. The 69 RS/Z at MCACN also had its window trim flash chromed.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 01:53:37 PM »
Early 69 RS/Z, Legends Judging @ MCACN, November '23

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 11:07:51 PM »
I was reviewing a posting from John Hinkley (John Z) from 2015 who stated that GM routinely flash chromed stainless steel trim so I stand corrected. I have a couple of sets of NOS windshield and back glass stainless trim that are not nearly as "brilliant" as the stainless on the Cortez RS/Z (by a mile) which leads me wonder if that trim was triple / show chromed along with everything else that received chrome plating. Can't say for sure but it would appear to be the case.

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 10:02:15 AM »
Early 69 RS/Z, Legends Judging @ MCACN, November '23

She's a beaut Clark!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cy7vmv2Cs
-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 04:28:56 PM »
That is a beautiful orange striped vacuum if I've ever seen one.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 05:19:53 PM »
I was reviewing a posting from John Hinkley (John Z) from 2015 who stated that GM routinely flash chromed stainless steel trim so I stand corrected. I have a couple of sets of NOS windshield and back glass stainless trim that are not nearly as "brilliant" as the stainless on the Cortez RS/Z (by a mile) which leads me wonder if that trim was triple / show chromed along with everything else that received chrome plating. Can't say for sure but it would appear to be the case.
What you read is in the link I posted. I have NOS and old used stainless moldings in stock. Also highly polished stainless that was not flash chromed for a customer. I've polished stainless myself with all the proper compounds and buffers. The polished stainless screams brightly like show chrome which is unlike the NOS stainless. I doubt that car you saw had the moldings triple chromed, there is no need and a waste.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2024, 05:35:37 PM »
When you polish SS trim, you'll burn through the layer of flash chrome. Yup, the originals aren't as bright, but they don't oxidize either.....
Kurt S
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 09:07:37 PM »
When you polish SS trim, you'll burn through the layer of flash chrome. Yup, the originals aren't as bright, but they don't oxidize either.....
Correct. Which is why a variation is obvious if the entire piece is not polished, or adjacent to one with flash chrome.

anything