Author Topic: Door locks , glove box recoded  (Read 380 times)

john302

• View Profile
Door locks , glove box recoded
« on: February 27, 2024, 10:13:13 PM »
Looking for someplace to recode some original locks and ignition lock cylinder . Anyone ? Jessers in Ohio ? thanks

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Door locks , glove box recoded
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 11:18:33 PM »
Any REAL locksmith can handle this.  I had some original doorlocks re-keyed to match my new IGN switch, I just called a local locksmith and gave him the locks and keys.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 02:54:57 PM »
Looking for someplace to recode some original locks and ignition lock cylinder . Anyone ? Jessers in Ohio ? thanks

Real locksmiths are difficult to find, I define these as the old school trade who understood vintage automotive locks. I tried a couple of locksmiths locally, wasn't satisfied with the work and eventually sent my lock set to Jessers for restoration. Their work is very good (expensive) and turnaround is reasonable (couple of weeks). They do a lot with the NCRS membership.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 05:02:44 PM »
I would recommend Steve Walker, he is a NCRS judge, and he has done keys for a couple of my Camaro's and just finished a set for my '59 Vette, he has a large collection of original GM NOS keys, ignition parts and locks, he will make sure they will pass NCSR PV judging, and his prices are very reasonable, his phone number is 505-573-6363.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 02:24:40 AM »

Real locksmiths are difficult to find, I define these as the old school trade who understood vintage automotive locks. I tried a couple of locksmiths locally, wasn't satisfied with the work and eventually sent my lock set to Jessers for restoration. Their work is very good (expensive) and turnaround is reasonable (couple of weeks). They do a lot with the NCRS membership.
Boy am I lucky Lloyd.  Our local guy is a 2nd generation locksmith and is past retirement age but still at it. I could not find the keys to our 68 and he took care of it along with even stamping the inserts with the code just like originals. He even used the hand punch to cut the key as originals looked. As you said, they are becomng very hard to find. He takes care of us guys and is a car guy himself.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 05:44:20 PM »
Interesting topic one I am dealing with on my '69 Z28 Camaro.

When I restored my Camaro between 1995 - 2000, I purchase a GM NOS lock set that included the doors, trunk lid, glove box and ignition and had a set of NOS key blanks.

ISSUE: My door and trunk lid locks do not include the square tab in the inner spring loaded dust cover. The dust cover opening in my locks is an open rectangle.  It took a while but I managed to remove the round stainless bezels (covers) from the door and trunk locks and removed the dust covers with the square tabs. I was able to hand polish the scratches from the bezels and "correct style" dust covers.  I found a special automotive door lock bezel removal/installation tool on eBay Market Place but is comes from China.  I have not ready any reviews how well it works, and I hesitate to purchase the tool and disassemble my NOS door locks to swap out and install the correct dust covers.

Does the Steve Walker remove and restore the bezel and dust covers when he services vintage auto key locks?

Here is a view of the tab in the door and trunk locks and the special tool I referred to.

Thanks!
Dave     

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 10:24:59 PM »
Yes, he will! He is one of the retired car guys that does this for the passion not the profit and will take the time to explain details, he took over Pete Lindahl's business when he passed away, the Corvette guys would remember him he was also a great guy and resource for the hobby. I just wish I had an engine builder like that close by! Key's are a lot easier to ship than a motor!