Author Topic: Who wants to make the first 1st gen electric Camaro?  (Read 8791 times)

onlytherich68

• View Profile
Who wants to make the first 1st gen electric Camaro?
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:05:10 PM »
Eventually using oil to power our homes and cars will be a thing of the past. With global warming debates heating up (pun intended) and a democrat headed for the White House its only a matter of time until oil compaines lose their power and grip on our country. When this happens gasoline will be rare and expensive. Sooner or later we will have to convert our babies (Camaros) to electricity. Who will make the first electric engine to drop into a first gen Camaro? When will the market demand these conversions? When will our Camaros be immobile gasoline relics from the past?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Who wants to make the first 1st gen electric Camaro?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:33:01 PM »
When will our Camaros be immobile gasoline relics from the past?

Never!  Haven't you watched the movie "Mad Max"?   ;D

Paul

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:38:53 PM »
i am stocking race fuel in 55gal drums as we speek!!!!!!

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
i am stocking race fuel in 55gal drums as we speek!!!!!!

Jason -

Don't forget to mount those 55 gallon drums directly to the car!   ;D   ;D   ;D

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:10:29 PM »
The major oil companies are investing billions to not only further develop but bring to maturity technologies for deep water (over 10,000 feet) crude oil production - including technolgies which put all of the equipment on the sea floor as opposed to the familiar offshore platfoms that we see today.  One major oil company, by itself, is investing over $10 billion from 2005 - 2015.  The oil companies wouldn't be making that kind of investment if there wasn't a return at the end of the day.  It's the part of the story that is conveiniently left out when people talk about the exhorbitant profits of the oil companies.  Name me another industry that is making that kind of investment over the next 10 yrs.

Anyone who believes that oil (or hydrocarbon fuels in general) are not going to be the central fuel for the U.S. economy for a long time to come is not reading the tea leaves correctly.  Gasoline in Europe has been priced over $6/gallon for a long time - over $9/gallon in England and in both countries, alternate fuel vehicles are a very small fraction of the total vehicle population on the roads.  You just can't beat the performance of a liquid fuel vehicle.

As for the climate - it is changing - why is uncertain.  Manmade? Natural climatological evolution?  To keep it all in perspective, more CO2, CO, H2SO4, SO2, etc. is spewed into the atmosphere from one decent size volcanic eruption than manmade activites.

An electric 1st Gen Camaro?  I don't think so.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:20:15 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 09:18:04 PM »
it would almost be easier dare i say it, reskin an electric car [ if they made one big enough] to look like a camaro then to convert one. just finding room for the wiring alone would be a cut and paste job. Not to mention would you really want camaro that sounded like an over sized RC car going down the road. Where is the fun in that.

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 01:08:30 PM »
i am going to pull a trailer full of fuel whenever driving!

rod67ss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
Not to mention something has to be burnt to make the electricity generating CO2 - unless we use nukes or wind.

Ironic how the effort to save the enviroment shut down developement of nuke plants that didn't produce CO2...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:45:28 AM by rod67ss »
67 SS 350 Convertible 6-speed

onlytherich68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »
OK I understand that no one wants to hear a Camaro coming down the road buzzing like a lawnmower. What about a new kind of hybrid engine that retains the look of the big V-8 under the hood and keeps the rumble but operates on electricity while cruising at highway speeds? Now I'm not saying go out and convert every first gen Camaro. I'm just trying to forsee a feasible way to continue driving a classic Camaro as a daily driver in the future. Eventually its going to happen, someone is going to convert a first gen into a hybrid. Who's gonna do it first?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
Near a Stanley Steamer (built in 1918, still running and not converted) at the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu, England is an original sign from London, which reads:

Reckless motorists cause:
Horses to panic!
Women and children to flee!
Dust to fill our homes!
Vile fumes to poison the air!
Keep cars off the road!
--The Antimotoring League

According to the museum, on 28 January 1896, Walter Arnold of East Peckham, Kent became the first person in Great Britain to be successfully charged with speeding. Travelling at approximately 8 mph, he had exceeded the 2 mph speed limit for towns. Fined 1 shilling (about $200 in today's US dollars) plus costs, Arnold had been caught by a policeman who had given chase on a bicycle.

In the early years of the 20th century there were laws passed that either prohibited automobiles or restricted their speed to less than 2 miles per hour.  This was due to complaints that some cars were seen going through villages at the head-spinning speed of 8 miles per hour!  A few cities did have traffic police.  They were on foot or bicycle and carried red flags to stop the offending drivers.  The first one of them that stepped out in front of a car and discovered that the average car at that time took ten times more distance to stop than a galloping horse caused a change in that policy.  Soon, the police were driving those vile gasoline-powered cars.

Many states already exempt all classic cars from emissions.  So, a big block, first generation Camaro may become as rare as that Stanley Steamer.  But if you convert it, it simply will not be a muscle car.  And since only 1.2% of those of you who responded to the "How Much Do You Drive?" poll described your car as a daily driver, then I guess we're already pretty much "immobile relics".
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=692.0;all

But do I think the Camaro I buy for my grandaughter in 15 years will have an electric motor?  Probably...
I'm sure not going to let her drive my 68!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:57:16 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director