Author Topic: Preserving seat belts  (Read 699 times)

john jay 69Z

• View Profile
Preserving seat belts
« on: December 07, 2023, 09:59:30 PM »
Hi CRG,

I have an issue with my seatbelts which others might have had also, I recently noticed that the Hamill stitching label on one of my seat belts was starting to come apart which caused me concern so I decided to check the condition of all the other labels hoping that the others were much better and notice a few more were starting to come apart due to age and condition. Is there a way to save the labels as this issue now is of great concern as I have tried to keep the car as original as possible in my 22 years of ownership.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
John

MO

• View Profile
Re: Preserving seat belts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 06:44:33 AM »
If it's just that the labels are coming off, I'm sure they could be re stitched. If they are deteriorating, that's another issue.

john jay 69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 08:06:27 AM »
Hi MO

Thank you for your reply, I think some of them will need restitching the others look a bit more frail not sure if they can be stitched further in. Will now have to take all the seat belt out and look for an upholsterer and see what solution they come up with.
Being material would be hard I suppose to somehow glue them on the belt not sure if there is a product
that might work without the glue coming through the label.

Thanks again
John

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 08:05:28 PM »
Probably 10 or so years ago I ordered all new labels for my 1967 SS 396 Chevelle and they were PERFECT.  But I don't think that guy is still in business. Someone out there should be able to reproduce them.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 09:14:36 PM »
Previous posting about restoring seat belts:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7187.0

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 01:51:44 AM »
HBC and Ricks (and likely others) list reproduction seatbelt labels, if you ever need to go that route.  I have no idea of the correctness, quality, or if it's a "one size fits all" label.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 06:53:21 AM »
Hi John,

I really don't think the glue approach will work; that might actually accelerate the deterioration. I am not aware of anyone currently making exact reproduction labels, so you might want to start searching for used belts to find suitable replacements. eBay is a good source to start with.

Good luck!

rocco376

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 01:20:40 PM »
I don't have any personal experience with this company, but they have a great reputation in the Corvette hobby.

https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Ssnake-Oyl&Category_Code=RS

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 09:14:22 PM »
^^ That is Whom I used (*Arm & Leg$) pricing, but the finished product is Fantastic, I went ALL in, New Webbing, New Tags (*Remember 68 Added a Conformance Tag also), Chrome-Plating, Clear Dipping plastisol, Painting Housings, Replacement for Torn housing, One replacement Deluxe stainless Latch, Polishing others.
Amazing Results

But I realize the Topic is Preservation, mine were deemed to far gone to allow for D-I-Y.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 07:44:46 AM »
Ssnake Oyl does great work and I highly recommend them. However, you need to read the description of services fully.

Seat Belt Restoration Services Available:
Re-Web with New Correct Style Webbing
Utilize the Correct Stitching Patterns
Retractors Replated & Rebuilt – Covers Recolored
Buckles Rechromed and /or Recolored
Plastic Anchor Covers Recolored
Tongues Rechromed
Anchors Rechromed or Replated
Defective Parts Replaced
Original Labels Sewn To New Webbing

I'm not sure if they offer reproduction labels. You'd have to check.

john jay 69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 12:42:19 PM »
Thank you all again for all your input,
For the moment I have used paper clips to hold the loose labels to the belt so as I don’t loose any more till I can talk to some of the companies mentioned in the replies. Currently I am missing a safety label from my left shoulder belt and a Hamill label from left front seat buckle belt. I had taken many photos in 2001 when the restoration was in progress but never paid a lot of attention to the dates and codes to now.
Not sure if the information on the belts I have noted will help with furthering with the data already gathered by CRG

My front belts and retractable are all 1907 and dated 27 B 69
Rear belts are all 1912 and dated 26 E 69
Shoulder Belts and the 2 centre buckles are all 1952 and dated 1 C 69

All buckles are RCF -65

D Rings
Front are HA2181
Rear  are HA2177

My car is a 3 week September 69 Norwood built

John