Author Topic: 1969 Corvette LT2  (Read 691 times)

Rick68

• View Profile
1969 Corvette LT2
« on: October 13, 2023, 03:22:31 AM »
I just recently read about this prototype corvette. A ZL-1 inspired 454 putting out 588 hp @6400 and 542 ft / lbs at 4800. Turbo 400 with 4000 stall converter. Doing neutral drops from 7000 rpm ran best time of 10.60 @ 132 mph at GM proving grounds in 1969. A gentleman named Dave Miller recreated that particular car. The articles are from Motor Trend.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Corvette LT2
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 03:56:34 AM »
Doing neutral drops at 7,000 would be death to any automatic trans, including the rear end and half shafts. The 'story' is more like an urban legend. Unless there are some facts to back it up, I don't buy it...sorry.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 03:13:05 PM »
I can verify that there was an actual ZL1-based 454 test/development engine stored by Chevrolet Engineering for decades at Milford Proving Ground.  When I first viewed it, the engine was in a disassembled state and was kept in a custom wheeled, varnished wood crate.  There were retaining spaces for all components down to the individual valves, lifters, pistons, etc.  The crank was held by a cradle integral to the interior of the crate.  The crate exterior had information indicating that the engine had been shipped to Diamond Engineering out of the Detroit area at one point.  The block and heads were aluminum with corresponding Winters Foundry casting marks.  This engine was secreted away along with several other high performance small blocks and an L72 big block in an area away from prying eyes.  The fellow who oversaw the storage area showed me these engines early on in my tenure as he knew of my interest in such things with the agreement that I "forgot" what I had seen.  Eventually, an enterprising co-worker who also knew of the engine(by being buddies with the storage guru), decided it would make an interesting development study by installing it in a C1500 pickup.  He got permission from the storage guru to temporarily use it and the install occurred on a weekend during off shifts.  I had an opportunity to drive this combination on the road system including the North/South straight with my co-worker riding shotgun.  It was an animal.  I can only imagine what it would have been like in a lighter platform.  There is a possibility that this was the same engine described in the account of the Corvette mentioned previously. 

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 01:14:17 AM »
There was an article about the Dave Miller recreation in MCM recently also. Also said they launched with a 7k drop from neutral.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition