Author Topic: VN vs NOR Assembly/Production Differences?  (Read 706 times)

Hans L

• View Profile
VN vs NOR Assembly/Production Differences?
« on: October 12, 2023, 03:36:51 PM »
The other day, I posted an update of my Z's progress on my IG account.  An astute commenter asked if I have an LA (Van Nuys) built Z.  I said yes and he responded "I noticed the direction of your engine pedestal (motor mount bracket) mounting bolts. Figured it must be LOS car..."   

The AIM calls for the bolt heads to be on top of the bracket but VN installed the bolt heads on the underside of the frame with the nut on the top of the bracket.

With that, what are the other differences with how LA cars left the factory vs Norwood?

I aware of the following:
VN vs NOR:
- No X codes
- Trunk spatter paint differs (stringy vs blots/dots)
- No "PTB" stamp.
- Different Jack (Walker vs Universal)

What else?  Any other differences on how the cars left the factory?  Paint?  Underside primers?  Cowl stripe treatment?  Stripes?   

Appreciate any other updates - trying to ensure my Z is restored correctly per Van Nuys plant practices. 

https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: VN vs NOR Assembly/Production Differences?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 06:15:06 PM »
That’s a great question; surprised it hasn’t been brought up previously.

Van Nuys produced 31,163 ‘69s, 12.8% of the total. Distribution was initially limited to the western US, primarily CA, AZ, NV, WA, OR. The rest of the US received cars built at Norwood. Van Nuys stopped building ‘69s at the end of June 1969. Norwood continued producing ‘69s through mid-July 1969 when it shut down for the annual model changeover. Only, there wasn’t one. The 1970 Camaro tooling was not ready, so Norwood resumed producing ‘69s as of August 11. Van Nuys did not. Dealers that had received Camaros from the Van Nuys plant were now supplied by Norwood.

The Van Nuys plant was on strike April 28 - June 1. Some VN orders may have been diverted to NOR. The survivor L78 SS seen at MCACN a few years ago was built at NOR April 30 and shipped 1,800 miles to Tucson, AZ.

While many people have deep experience with ‘69s, it is most often limited to one plant; few people seem to have experience with cars from both. It has taken a long time to note the differences that are known. Here’s a few others:

Some VN Z/28s have the rear striping in the vinyl top configuration even on cars w/o vinyl tops. A few very early VN Z/28s have the 1968 rear stripe layout. VN was much neater painting the stripe color on top of the cowl; early NOR cars can be very sloppy. Also, appears VN was more precise in masking the wiper panel for stripes.

NOR typically sprayed sound deadener in a squared-off pattern on the inside of the rear quarter panels behind the outer wheelhouse. Have not seen that on VN builds.

Cars built with dual exhaust at Van Nuys have been found with the tail pipes painted black.

The foam pads at the top of the cowl are glued to the wiper panel on NOR builds, glued to the body at VN.

VN used the same body tag blank for the entire production run. NOR switched to the larger tag mid-November 1968.

On NOR builds through the end of October '68 with green, red or blue interiors, the VIN tag paint matched the top of the dash. Starting November '68, they were black suede for all colors. Fairly certain VN VIN tags were always black.

I’m sure there were other differences.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 02:03:43 PM by william »
Learning more and more about less and less...

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 09:44:44 PM »
Add:

Lower Control Arm Bolts Point a different direction than NOR & AIM.

I think the Judging Manuals also have a Bunch of Plant differences captured.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 02:03:16 PM »
I realize the focal point will ultimately be about 69's but several of the anomalies branch over all 3 years when comparing NOR & LOS.

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 02:50:00 PM »
William - Thank you for the details.  Interesting details, exactly what I'm looking for.

Of Note:
- Yes, the cowl area was nicely masked off - tape marks were there when I removed the cowl.  I'll post when I get a chance.
- Yes, the foam pads are glued to the body/upper cowl area
- I'll check the trunk sound deadener details.  Hadn't noticed any squared-off pattern

Interesting detail on the black painted tail pipes.  Exhaust system was long replaced so no way to validate.

Mines an April build so, stripes are probably consistent with either plant
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 03:12:32 PM by Hans L »

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 02:51:27 PM »
Add:

Lower Control Arm Bolts Point a different direction than NOR & AIM.

I think the Judging Manuals also have a Bunch of Plant differences captured.

Yes, I noticed this one as well - the bolts point towards the front.   Didn't realize this was a VN specific installation process.   Thanks for the confirmation. 

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 03:32:15 PM »
Courtesy of Jon Mello in a previous thread.