Author Topic: Unique Radio/Stereo Combination for 69’ Camaro  (Read 2002 times)

allgejeff

• View Profile
Unique Radio/Stereo Combination for 69’ Camaro
« on: October 08, 2023, 12:28:43 AM »
I am looking for some information on the factory radio configuration for my 1969 Camaro.  The car was not heavily optioned but it came from the factory with a strange combination of stereo speakers. 

I bought the car in 2003 and see evidence of a factory front center speaker and also something going on in the rear. There are brown and blue wires in factory clips attached to the rear seat brace going up to the package tray.  From what I’ve read, the two wires in back indicate a left and right rear speaker (a stereo setup). The stereo setup would have normally come with kick panel speakers to go with them, not a center dash speaker.

I have read a number of posts across the Camaro forums but have been unable to figure out how you get a center speaker along with 4 stereo speakers.  Thanks for any help you folks can provide!!

Details you should know:
-1969 Camaro Produced 4th week of August 1969
-307ci
-Equipped with a Console for (TH350 trans) but no console gauges.
-No radio wiring harness present, just the single two pin connector with yellow and black wires for power.
-Kick panels had holes in them but aftermarket speakers in their place.  Also center console had been replace so you cant see if a 8 track was ever mounted there.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Radio/Stereo Combination for 69’ Camaro
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 03:30:22 PM »
Actually it’s not unique. AM or FM radios all had the center speaker. The rear was an option was U80. However, if it has the AM/AF Stereo…..now that’s different. You may want to see Classic industries or here to see if the harness matches what you have. https://americanautowire.com/collections/chevrolet/products/speaker-harness-ca70068

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 03:59:06 PM »
A car built with a stereo sound system would not have a front center speaker.

It could have been built with a tape player only, later retrofitted with a radio and front speaker.
Learning more and more about less and less...

CamaroJeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 11:30:31 AM »
I think there is some misunderstanding on what I’m saying… this car at least came with a center speaker, and TWO rear speakers.

I am curious if this could have been the setup… 8 track stereo with a mono radio. That’s the only way you can get a front speaker and two in the rear. I think the kick panel speakers were take out before I got the car. See the attached wiring diagram for a factory configuration like this.

Thoughts?

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 04:33:02 AM »
If rear speaker was optioned I would think there would only be one, unless something stereo was also ordered.

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 02:17:18 PM »
Sounds like AM radio with 8 track player, which would have been mounted on the console. This is the same setup I have. Here is a wiring diagram which may answer your questions.
Andy

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 06:50:46 PM »
Andy, could it also be AM/FM?

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 02:11:06 PM »
Yes, I'm sorry I should have said AM or AM/FM. U63 and U69 both had the front center speaker. If the stereo tape player U57 or the stereo multiplex U79 was ordered, no  front center speaker was installed. My apologies, I sometimes forget the U69 FM non-stereo option, which was actually fairly common. I only had an AM radio. Also AM radio is evidenced by a rear telescoping manual antenna, the rear antenna option could not be ordered with the FM radio. I believe AM and FM both had the same straps and capacitors, but I could be mistaken. I'm sure its all in the AIM. The original rear antenna on my car, and the original AM radio still installed, is how I knew the rear spoiler was added. It was an original rear spoiler, but it could have been added by the dealer or from another car at any time after the factory.

CamaroJeff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 12:54:54 AM »
Thanks for the picture of your harness. This has been really helpful.

I know almost all the first gen camaro connectors are packard 56 style. But there is a male terminal on one of my radio connectors that I can’t identify. It plugs into a female packard 56 but doesn’t have the cut across the middle. It secures into the connector with a tab. Here is a picture

Anyone know what these are called? I need to buy a few more.

CamaroJeff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 03:54:36 PM »
I found something which others might find interesting. As you’ve pointed out here 69 Camaros had a console mounted 8 track. But Heart Beat City just posted a SS396 12,000 mile survivor Camaro. It has a dash mounted 8 track. The paperwork from GM is shown and this looks like the dash 8 track was installed from the factory. Production date was around march 1969. Like console 8 tracks, this was stereo.

My car has holes under the dash around where a 8 track would mount.

https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/cars_for_sale/1969_Camaro_SS_396_375_L78_Silver_Gallery/index.html

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 04:45:13 PM »
U57 ordered for a car without a console mounted the tape player under the dash. Shown on U57 pages A2; A5-7.

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2023, 03:36:53 AM »
Sounds like AM radio with 8 track player, which would have been mounted on the console. This is the same setup I have. Here is a wiring diagram which may answer your questions.
Andy

Console-mounted 8-track players and multiplex stereo players in 1968 and 1969 Camaros were for cars with RPO C60 factory air conditioning systems (Four Seasons) because the AC duct work under the dash on the passenger side obstructed mounting either the 8-track player or multiplex there.
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2023, 03:41:03 AM »
Yes, I'm sorry I should have said AM or AM/FM. U63 and U69 both had the front center speaker. If the stereo tape player U57 or the stereo multiplex U79 was ordered, no  front center speaker was installed. My apologies, I sometimes forget the U69 FM non-stereo option, which was actually fairly common. I only had an AM radio. Also AM radio is evidenced by a rear telescoping manual antenna, the rear antenna option could not be ordered with the FM radio. I believe AM and FM both had the same straps and capacitors, but I could be mistaken. I'm sure its all in the AIM. The original rear antenna on my car, and the original AM radio still installed, is how I knew the rear spoiler was added. It was an original rear spoiler, but it could have been added by the dealer or from another car at any time after the factory.

Was the hole in the cowl panel inside the passenger door jamb not present for your factory rear antenna setup or was the hole plugged?  If plugged, could post a picture?  Thanks!
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2023, 03:45:48 AM »
It had a rubber plug with a part number on it. I had a hard time finding one for my rear antenna car....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

CamaroJeff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2023, 12:59:47 PM »
You mention the console mounted 8 track only being applicable for the AC cars, but is there also clearance issue between the dash mounted unit and a factory console gauge setup?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2023, 01:37:48 PM »
Thats nonsense. I have seen several Z/28s with console mount tape players. Back in the day I scrapped a non-A/C L65 4-speed with one. Took hours to get the unit, wiring, speakers removed intact.

Check out the w/s for one of the Z/28s in Jerrys '69 book.

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2023, 03:31:33 PM »
Andy

Console-mounted 8-track players and multiplex stereo players in 1968 and 1969 Camaros were for cars with RPO C60 factory air conditioning systems (Four Seasons) because the AC duct work under the dash on the passenger side obstructed mounting either the 8-track player or multiplex there.

To rephrase slightly for clarification. U57 Console mounted 8 track tape players were used with console cars, regardless of AC. From the sales album for U57 in the revision guide, "Includes 4 speakers. Console required when air conditioning is ordered." So if you order C60 and U57, you also had to order D55 console.

And an interesting side note. In the original section of the sales manual, "Includes 4 speakers. Not available when electric clock is ordered. Console is required when air conditioning is ordered." I don't know how U35 Electric Clock would affect a tape player. But I guess that may be why they removed that in the revision.