Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

AM/FM Radio's and Tape players

<< < (3/7) > >>

68L30:
Picture....

montgomg:
 I have a late 69 Z28 and the original AM/FM radio has long ago been replaced with a Kenwood. I would like to replace
the Kenwood with an original radio since the car is mostly original.
 From my reading I should be looking for a yellow light radio 91BFM2? My car is an 09E (1969) build.
 Is a yellow light radio from a 70 Impala correct? Are these the so called slant back radios? Thanks.

william:
The "blue light" and "yellow light" am/fms were stereo. Very few [1%] '69s were built a stereo. The monaural unit is more common [3.4%].

If your car has front kick panel and 2 rear speakers then it was built with a stereo. From about June or July '69 the yellow light with integral multiplex was used. The same speakers were used with the tape player, which could not be ordered with a stereo radio.

If it does not have the speakers but has a capacitor in the power line to the heater blower motor it had a monaural am/fm. A '69 A or B body used the same unit. '70-up units look the same but have a different plug.

If the car does not have the speakers or the capacitor it probably had an AM.

tmodel66:
My car has the one speaker in the rear. I was told this is RPO U 80. Front speaker only in dash. No speakers in kick panels. Which radio would I need?
Thanks  for any help

montgomg:
Thanks, I will need to check  the car over some more.
I have the original order sheet and the  car was ordered with an AM/FM radio and the cost was $133.80. No mention of stereo. It does have two rear speakers (along with the kick panel speaker) but the rear speakers (two) are Pioneers.
I assumed the radio was stereo on the FM side and mono on the AM side.
Need to see if original wires to the two rear speakers or if wires were added. The additional cost for the radio seems like a lot for that time period!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page