Author Topic: Dupont Cronar Color Code  (Read 934 times)

camaronut

• View Profile
Dupont Cronar Color Code
« on: September 08, 2023, 01:24:47 PM »
Sorry for saying the word "Cronar" - I know it brings horror and pain to those shop owners that used that stuff back in the late 80's / early 90's but I need a favor.

Can someone tell me the color formulation code for Le Mans blue & Marina Blue using Cronar paint? I have color code of DBU16510, but it doesn't bring up anything.

I'm hoping someone with a shop still has the paint chip books from "back in the day".

I would really appreciate it.

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Dupont Cronar Color Code
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 06:23:41 PM »
I answered this on the other site. Cronar is discontinued and the toners are different for modern paints anyway. Pick your paint company, get some paint mixed and do a sprayout to achieve a match.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 06:25:20 PM »
Doing that now ….. I appreciate the help again!!!

I read where Cronar was a big disaster… would you agree?

FRANKTHECRANK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 08:03:33 PM »
If I remember right, CRONAR was the single stage version of Dupont's paint line,.. and Cromabase was the base coat/clear coat version. This was after Lucite (lacquer), Dulux (synthetic enamel), Centari (acrylic enamel), and Imron (polyurethane enamel).

Yes Cronar wasn't a great success...lol. It was Duponts entry into the urethane enamel single stage arena.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 07:46:38 PM »
If you have a 1969 Dealer Album you can have the color chip scanned and have the color mixed...
On 1969 Lemans Blue, tell them to scan - correct the match using the formula (no additional toners) and to drop 20% of the metal flake, the new mixes have too much metal flake in them.  and TELL the jobber to give you some metal flake that will lighten direct - no change on sideshift AND some lighten sideshift and no change direct.
You will probably need to do a few spray outs and work with the metal flake (side shifts etc) in order to make it match near perfect. If you are just painting it and not actually trying to match the 1969 Color for a high end restoration just have it mixed and drop 20% of the metal flake.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 11:20:27 PM »
Thanks firstgen!!!

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 12:30:24 AM »
Matching a 69 color chip won't matter when trying match a newer and different paint system. Hues vary by the spectrometer and paint brands. Metamerism is also a factor. You'll learn all this after years in collision and restoration. Tried two of my jobbers for an Olds color and one was very close as opposed to the other. The color library sometimes has formulas on file your jobber will not. Again, decades in the business helps a tiny bit.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 12:22:27 PM »
First off I am not a painter. But have over years tryed to get matches for colors like rally green, tiger gold and others. I agree spray outs are the way to go and different brands of paint are well different. It really helps for the painter to have years of experience for that time when it is sprayed on the car and just needs a couple drops of ? to really look good.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

anything