Author Topic: This stamp look ok  (Read 3698 times)

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Re: This stamp look ok
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2023, 07:00:05 PM »
I know you're joking...but still am curious what others think...

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2023, 02:03:12 AM »
Mr. Kurt,
 Any reason why the last 3 of the VIN are WAY bigger and WAY deeper? Why is the "M" virtually invisible? Are there other known stamps from this time period that duplicate this? Just trying to learn... D

We don’t discuss things like this in the forum which is open to the world.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2023, 12:22:02 PM »
I have to admit - this is the first time I ever saw this.  Sandblasting the block and doing away with the original broach marks was not the smartest thing to do IMO.  Would I buy it - hell no.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 12:39:59 PM »
So lets put a twist on it.  If this car had a "MacNeish Cert" then everyone would be good with the stamping (of the ones that have commented against the stamp)?  Or is it just the fact it was a screwup and it would always cause people to question?  Human beings aren't perfect in either scenario whether its today or 50+ years ago.  Everything has to be taken into consideration. 

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 01:05:12 PM »
So lets put a twist on it.  If this car had a "MacNeish Cert" then everyone would be good with the stamping (of the ones that have commented against the stamp)?  Or is it just the fact it was a screwup and it would always cause people to question?  Human beings aren't perfect in either scenario whether its today or 50+ years ago.  Everything has to be taken into consideration. 

Its just the first time I've even seen this.  You have a point - if JMN said it was good, then maybe I'd have a differing viewpoint.  Its just not the normal we've all been led to believe is correct in these days of fakes / clones.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 01:10:39 PM »
Its just the first time I've even seen this.  You have a point - if JMN said it was good, then maybe I'd have a differing viewpoint.  Its just not the normal we've all been led to believe is correct in these days of fakes / clones.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2023, 02:09:09 PM »
Here's the thing not everyone knows. Jerry's report is a detailed documentation of the car, supporting documentation, and notes of correct/matching/non original/ date coded/time period correct parts/oddities not consistent with production assembled parts/procedures and such. It's not just a certificate. He would absolutely document what he sees, which is what we see.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2023, 05:12:05 PM »
I believe Kurt and others have already said stampings are OK. What else are you expecting? It doesn’t need a JM blessing.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2023, 05:15:24 PM »
That is my point.  People hang their hat on a cert when the knowledge is out there.  All you have to do is your research and ask questions.  Unless you don't care about cost and just want a piece of paper that acknowledges such.  To each their own I guess.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2023, 05:49:27 PM »
Ok.........no matter what happens or who buys this car - there's always gonna be that "Ehhhhhh - I think there's something suspicious here" moniker over it when its time to sell it to the next person.  Like I said - this is a first for me.  And DW, you're absolutely right - humans make mistakes too........even 50 yrs ago, it's just that I've never seen this subject appear in any book written by the experts or judging manuals.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2023, 06:02:39 PM »
If you put too many details out there it just helps the restampers and scammers.

BRG Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2023, 07:12:23 PM »
I know the car and the stamp, both are good!

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2023, 12:11:59 AM »
Here's the thing not everyone knows. Jerry's report is a detailed documentation of the car, supporting documentation, and notes of correct/matching/non original/ date coded/time period correct parts/oddities not consistent with production assembled parts/procedures and such. It's not just a certificate. He would absolutely document what he sees, which is what we see.

He documents what he can see, compares it to what he knows, and forms an opinion. An expert opinion, but that is all.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2023, 12:15:36 AM »
To answer your original question, it does not look OK, it looks funny. It also looks like a collection of near matching parts that only an expert in the field with many connections would be able to assemble if not real.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2023, 12:44:34 AM »
If you put too many details out there it just helps the restampers and scammers.

I think we just did.  lol.....

anything