Author Topic: Help with VIN / Registration of restomod  (Read 830 times)

drbible

• View Profile
Help with VIN / Registration of restomod
« on: August 20, 2023, 09:42:55 PM »
Greetings all,

Just joined the forum and appreciate the depth of knowledge here.

I was hoping for a little advice about my project.

I have the EXACT 1969 RS Z28 that I want to own. Numbers matching, correct parts, etc. are not important to me. My goal is to have a correct exterior with some modern improvements so I guess this is a Restomod or a Tribute car.

I am not a body guy, more of a mechanical guy, so I want to limit body work and then farm out engine / tranny mating and install, electrical wiring with all new harness' and paint to professionals.

With that in mind, I have searched for a long time for an appropriate starter / donor / project car, knowning that most of it will be replaced with new components.

My question is, is there some rule about what percentage of the original car has to be in the restored / modded car for it to still be considered a 69 Camaro for title and registeration in the State of Texas?

I figured any part that had a VIN plate on it but was unsure if there were other requirements.

Any advice, experience, etc. would be most appreciated.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with VIN / Registration of restomod
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 11:39:17 AM »
There is no rule that I am aware of.

As long as the VIN tag is original to the car [attached with original fasteners] and the confidential VINs stamped on the body remain intact, there would be no reason for any DMV to question it.

This extensively modified '69 Camaro retains its original VIN.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1099002/1969-chevrolet-camaro-drag-car/

Learning more and more about less and less...

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 02:40:26 PM »
My '69's registration had lapsed by the time I got around to licensing it in California and it's existence had been erased from the system although the dash VIN and the hidden VINs on the firewall were intact.  I had a choice between trailering the car to a Highway Patrol Office or hiring a licensed inspector to validate the VINs before taking the paperwork to DMV to pay the back registration and obtain a current registration.  I chose to pay the inspector to come to my shop, verify the numbers, and sign-off on the state documentation.  His visit took about half-an-hour but that's the extent of the process in this state.  Worth every penny to have it done in my shop.

Good luck,

c

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 01:27:10 PM »
Here in Cali we call it “VIN verification”

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 03:35:18 PM »
The Texas DMV website has information about registering a vehicle that may apply to the 1969 Camaro you are considering building:

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/assembled-vehicles

I purchased a 1970 Mustang that was still titled in California and was able to get it transferred when it was inspected at my local Auto Club.  My sister and family recently moved from the San Diego area to San Antonio, Texas and said that they had no problem getting their vehicles registered.  Good luck! - Mark