Author Topic: Rolled Fenders  (Read 1040 times)

ArtfulDodger

• View Profile
Rolled Fenders
« on: August 09, 2023, 07:05:30 PM »
I’m looking at an original 69 Z28, and have found that the rear fender have been rolled. Is it possible to unroll the fenders so the screws that hold the wheel trim can be installed properly?  Thanks for any help on this issue.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
Re: Rolled Fenders
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 12:58:00 AM »
Possible?   Yes.

Feasible? Not likely.

I don't think you can put that genie back in the bottle without heat and then some paint work.
Would be glad if someone could prove me wrong.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 05:18:26 AM »
It doesn't seem likely that they could be restored to their original shape. However, there are many custom shops out there that do amazing work, so I wouldn't completely rule it out either. If you are concerned with keeping original paint, I'd think that would be impossible.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 11:47:29 AM »
Shit.  I would throw a pair of duckbill, needle nose clamps, vise grips, a dolly and couple hammers and maybe a small propane torch and go to town.  What's the worst that could happen as long as you go slow and steady.  Start on the least rolled side and walk it out.  It might be perfect but you will have something to work with.  If you don't like it then hammer it back.  If you damage the paint the chrome will cover it.  Just don't pry against the outer shell of the quarter.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 12:54:28 PM »
I would wait for a professional body shop person (Scott) to chime in before I'd do anything.  Bending back stretched metal in that form is gonna be tough.  But I'm not a professional.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 02:56:44 PM »
It can be fixed no prob. This will require an expert bodyman. I have done this type of work before. Patience is the key here. And yes, my name is also Scott. Just not the one referenced in the last posting.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

rocco376

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 03:14:48 PM »
Would the rolling have been done to allow a larger tire?

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 03:39:12 PM »
I am with DW, visit Harbor Freight, get some metal tools, be carefull. It will not be perfect but worth trying.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 07:33:33 PM »
Rocco, that's an affirmative.  Any competent body man or confident technician can peel it back and shape it with a hammer and dolled.  I'd make it close and install the wheel well opening moldings after applying a rust prevention and paint. DUNN!

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 08:05:43 PM »
a slide hammer with a thin hook will do the job just fine. then a little hammering with a dolly will finish off the job. Even if the paint cracks a little you can brush touch because its under the molding

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 08:39:43 PM »
I didn't see any screw holes in the photo you posted of the rolled rear fender.  From a previous posting, Camaros that didn't have wheel opening trim didn't have holes drilled:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=16105.0

I've read that all 1969 Z28 Camaros had the wheel opening trim.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 09:40:57 PM »
I've read that all 1969 Z28 Camaros had the wheel opening trim.

Sounds like something from a FB Camaro group. Possibly the same guy that stated no Z/28 had power steering.

Wheel opening trim was part of the Z21 Style Trim Group option. Rally-Sport equipment included Z21. Plenty of Z/28s had neither. Norwood Z/28s produced after mid-December '68 were coded X33 with Z21; X77 without.
Learning more and more about less and less...

anything