Author Topic: Windshield Lower Trim Clips & Outboard Screws  (Read 1563 times)

Z10Mike

• View Profile
Windshield Lower Trim Clips & Outboard Screws
« on: July 21, 2023, 07:55:21 PM »
1. Re: the outboard clips -
Wish I had known about this being such a PITA before I got the front clip and hood on.  I've run the gamut searching threads on the net for how to install those stinking things with the fenders on.  All original clips and trim pieces so that part of the equation is not in question.  If I can get those end screws/clips installed then I'll attempt to drill the locating holes for the remaining clips in the center of the trim.

2. Re: Outboard Screws -
Can someone confirm the size/thread pitch etc. of the 2 screws that attach the outboard lower w/shield trim clips to the door jam at the cowl?    Mine have gone MIA and I don't want to auger out the hole with the wrong screw.  Are they the same as the attachment screws for the lower trim center clips?

Many veterans of full restorations on this forum so ANY of your insight is appreciated!

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: Windshield Lower Trim Clips & Outboard Screws
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 12:37:04 PM »
Wish I had known about this being such a PITA before I got the front clip and hood on.  I've run the gamut searching threads on the net for how to install those stinking things with the fenders on.  All original clips and trim pieces so that part of the equation is not in question.  If I can get those end screws/clips installed then I'll attempt to drill the locating holes for the remaining clips in the center of the trim.

Can someone confirm the size/thread pitch etc. of the 2 screws that attach the outboard lower w/shield trim clips to the door jam at the cowl?    Mine have gone MIA and I don't want to auger out the hole with the wrong screw.  Are they the same as the attachment screws for the lower trim center clips?

Many veterans of full restorations on this forum so ANY of your insight is appreciated!

When I have a question about the correct fastener I go to the AIM and cross reference the p/n to the AMK Catalog. You can download it. The catalog gives you a pic etc too.
When it comes to removing or installing it with the fenders on a Gear Wrench will be your friend.

example:
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 08:24:26 PM »
HawkX66 - I have run through my assembly manuals for basic and RPO assembly and could find no illustration with the windshield trim or its attaching hardware.  Mine could be missing.  If you know of a sheet referencing this information please reply with the sheet number and I will check my manuals again.
Thanks.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 09:02:21 PM »
It will not be covered in the Chevrolet Assembly Manual since it was part of the Body build by Fisher.

I also wish we had more part and piece construction details from the Fisher ide of the house, but the Body By Fisher service manual applies to many series of Chevrolet bodies it is of only so much value.

One "HACK" is to Request a Hard copy of the AMK catalog with one of your orders and it can be a visual aide in hardware identification and sourcing  similar hardware that will perform same Form/Fit and Function.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 07:01:49 PM »
I slightly readjusted the front sheet metal to gain better access for the outboard clips. So now I have trim mocked up but still cannot get any confirmation as to what fastener is correct for the outboard locations.  The parts houses have replacements for the center clips but no mention of the outboard jobs.  Looking for someone in the midst of a resto with the original screws to post a photo of one against a ruler so I have a visual reference to further the search.  Any help is appreciated.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 07:38:19 PM »
here is my take

The ENd trim brackets are stuck on the window lower trim outer.
Your Guess is as good as mine (1968 LOS Z28 Coupe)
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 10:03:35 PM »
169INDY - Thanks for the photo and reply.  I'll add this to the information I am gathering.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 10:11:09 PM »
I think Darrell might have some Data on his Red Cars recent preservations
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

copo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 08:21:31 PM »
The outer screws were #8-18 x 1/4  HX WS, AMK # b-2045.

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 08:20:04 PM »
copo - Thanks for the information.  Greatly appreciated.

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 09:19:09 PM »
1/4" ??...I retract my statement regarding difficulty (with fenders installed). lol
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2023, 02:54:31 PM »

Found a pic for you that I took a long time ago.

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2023, 04:45:40 PM »
HawkX66 - Great shots of the bracket and the hex head screw that retains it to the A pillar.
BTW...It looks like my brackets got tweaked when the body guy removed them.  Your pics will help to get them back to the correct orientation.  Thanks again!

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2023, 07:01:21 PM »
HawkX66 - Great shots of the bracket and the hex head screw that retains it to the A pillar.
BTW...It looks like my brackets got tweaked when the body guy removed them.  Your pics will help to get them back to the correct orientation.  Thanks again!
You're welcome. Glad to help.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!