Author Topic: 1969 FRONT SHEETMETAL TOO FAR FORWARD  (Read 1486 times)

JAMES2CAMAROS

• View Profile
1969 FRONT SHEETMETAL TOO FAR FORWARD
« on: July 13, 2023, 08:29:57 PM »
Hello All!

This car was rigged together by the previous owner.  I don't know which parts are right and which parts are wrong. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out why all of my front sheetmetal does not light up correctly.  It is all too far forward of the fenders, fender extentsions and the hood lock support brace.  The fenders do light up pretty much correctly with regards to the gaps between the doors and windshield so I think the fenders are correct in the back, but not in the front which is confusing me.

The fender extensions are too far forward of the fender making the gap between the fender extensions and the fender too large.  I have attached a side view as well as a view of the holes in the fender and extension panel that are supposed to bolt together.

I have the same issue with the lower valence being too far forward of the fender extension to bolt together.  Please see the attached pictures.

I have also attached a picture of the hood lock catch support that shows how the lower valence is too far forward of the hood lock catch support to bolt together on both the top and bottom, both are shown in the same picture.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the radiator support is wrong.  Please see the attached pictures showing the top and bottom of the radiator support.  The radiator support has a bottom "shelf" with wood blocks on it as shown in the picture to hold the radiator.  I know the radiator is wrong.  I think the radiator support might be wrong.  I don't know how much this affects the front sheetmetal in question.

Sooooo....

Can anyone tell me if the radiator support is right or wrong?

Does anyone have any idea why the front sheetmetal is too far forward to bolt together?

Thanks in advance!

Badshifter

• View Profile
Re: 1969 FRONT SHEETMETAL TOO FAR FORWARD
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 01:08:40 AM »
Can’t really tell anything from your photos. Take some from further back so we can see the bigger picture of what’s going on. Is the front subframe correctly mounted with the correct hardware and bushings? Because you have to start there or nothing will be correct.
1969 Z28 X77 09C

JAMES2CAMAROS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 02:49:18 AM »
I will take some pictures further back at the door/fender interface.  I'll also take one from further back of the radaitor support.

For now I can tell you that the driver's side door/fender seems to be gapped correctly.  The passenger side is maybe a little too narrow of a gap, but not by much.  And definitely not by the 1" or so that the hood latch support is gapped from the valence panel.

The front subframe seems to be correctly mounted with the correct hardware and bushings from what I can tell.  I haven't taken it apart, but I performed a visual inspection and the bushings seem to match the new ones that I have on hand.  The same goes for the radiator support to subframe bushings.

Is there anything else that you would like a picture of?

Does that lower "shelf" on the radiator support look like it could possibly be correct?

Below is a picture that I already have showing the upper radiator support.

Thanks!

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 07:04:00 PM »
I think you car has taken a hit in the front and one or more parts are bent . Someone might have Tryed to straighten pieces and not got them right. If the radiator support is bent in or out it could throw several pieces out of line.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

JAMES2CAMAROS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 06:37:10 AM »
Thanks, but no, that's not it.  I thought it might be the cause as well and took a good look at the subframe and the hood latch support.

The radiator latch support is completely straight and shows no sign of damage whatsoever.  It is very contoured and would show signs of repair if it had bent and been unbent.

The subframe looks straight and same thing.  It doesn't show any signs of being hammered out.  Even if it had I don't think it would be off enough to account for the 1" + gap between the lower valance panel and the hood latch support brace/coulmn.

I really think there is an issue with the radaitor support though.

Does any else have the "shelf" that I have on the bottome of my radiator support shown in the picture?

There are also two large holes on the left of the radiator support.  They look large enough in diameter for a heater hoes to pass through.  I'll attach a picture below.

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 03:54:58 PM »
Here is a previous discussion about the radiator support mounting to the sub-frame:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7013.0

You also may want to check the measurements of the frame if you still have problems with the front sheet metal alignment.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-general-43/69-fisher-frame-measurements-45952/#&gid=1&pid=1

Badshifter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 01:09:35 AM »
The pictures tell the story, even if you are not seeing it. The core support (radiator mounts to it) is bent. The hood latch support is bent. The radiator is very crooked in relation to the core support. The upper cowl is bent where it bolts to the fender. The front bumper does not fit the lower grille opening. Again, a further away picture would show it all.
The “shelves” you are referring to are stock pieces. I stole a picture off the internet so you can see what an undamaged front end looks like.
1969 Z28 X77 09C

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 02:31:23 AM »
Radiator support seems to be the main issue, but maybe not the only problem.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

JAMES2CAMAROS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 03:52:00 AM »
Here is a previous discussion about the radiator support mounting to the sub-frame:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7013.0

You also may want to check the measurements of the frame if you still have problems with the front sheet metal alignment.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-general-43/69-fisher-frame-measurements-45952/#&gid=1&pid=1

I will definitely compare my frame measurements with the Body By Fisher Manual measurements.  I'll post the results.

Thank you!

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 11:03:03 AM »
That hood latch support is definitely bent. The horn is crooked as a politician.

JAMES2CAMAROS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 03:17:27 PM »
The pictures tell the story, even if you are not seeing it. The core support (radiator mounts to it) is bent. The hood latch support is bent. The radiator is very crooked in relation to the core support. The upper cowl is bent where it bolts to the fender. The front bumper does not fit the lower grille opening. Again, a further away picture would show it all.
The “shelves” you are referring to are stock pieces. I stole a picture off the internet so you can see what an undamaged front end looks like.

That's a great picture.  Thank you.

I ordered a new radiator support.  I'm going to start there because it is definitely a part of the problem.

I did take a picture from further back, but looking at it on my computer I don't like the angle.  I'll take another one today and post it.

A front end collision would explain a lot.  The bumper extensions were non-existent.  Just the outer bumper supports that mount to the lower valence were installed.  It would also explain why the fender extensions seem to be bent outward at the top where the curve meets the fender.  I'm really not sure that is even the correct radiator support because it doesn't look right to me.  It's either been replaced with an incorrect one or unbent or probably, in all likelihood, both.  It also seems like that might not be the correct radiator either.  Once I get it apart, I'll measure it and look at the mounting holes.

Thank you!

JAMES2CAMAROS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 09:28:28 PM »
Can’t really tell anything from your photos. Take some from further back so we can see the bigger picture of what’s going on. Is the front subframe correctly mounted with the correct hardware and bushings? Because you have to start there or nothing will be correct.

Here's a photo from further back.  I received the new radiator support and its curve is definitely different from mine and definitely part of the problem.

I do think the car was in a minor accident.  The front fender extensions show evidence of having been bent downwards.  The bumper extensions were missing so I assume they got bent.  The radiator was replaced.  The radiator support was either un-bent or I think replaced with the wrong support somehow.  The subframe measurements are a bit off nominal values but mostly not by very much.  I will post them in a separate post.