Author Topic: Factory wiring for rear window defogger  (Read 1128 times)

CamaroJeff

• View Profile
Factory wiring for rear window defogger
« on: April 26, 2023, 11:44:21 PM »
Hello,

I recently purchased a rear window defogger for my 69 Camaro. I want to keep the wiring as close to original as possible. My question… would the factory have these connections bundled into the main dash trunk etc harnesses? Or would they have used what I’ll call an accessory harness like you would buy from American auto wire and others.

There are even some GM new old stock harness that resemble the American auto wire stuff.  They plug into the dash switch, and a 12 volt accessory port on the fuses block to make it work. Did the factory do our cars this way?

On my car there are a number of empty pin positions In the factory dash harness where it splits off towards the rear of the car, just behind the headlight switch.  Makes me think these pins would have been utilized for an instance like mine.

CamaroJeff

• View Profile
Re: Factory wiring for rear window defogger
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 11:56:59 PM »
American auto wire example:

https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-rear-defogger-wiring-harness-1969-33-180002-1.html

Example of new old stock instructions for the same GM harness. I’m questioning if this is how the Van Nuys or Norwood plants would have done it.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 01:47:59 PM »
It would be the accessory harness. The harnesses were basic, with options added on as necessary. I have an OTC  harness installation instructions sheet . I think its still on Ebay.  Search camaro defog and enlarge the pictures to see. If not, let me know and I'll post it here..

CamaroJeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 11:57:28 AM »
David K, I didn’t see any instructions under “camaro defog” on eBay. If you could post a link or the pictures I would really appreciate it!

anything