Author Topic: Factory Chambered Exhaust-69’ 396  (Read 5428 times)

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Re: Factory Chambered Exhaust-69’ 396
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2023, 03:56:26 PM »
Aahhhh....the preference of audible noise.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2023, 06:03:35 PM »
I bought two sets of original GM chambered when I was asst. parts manager at Miller Chevrolet in Ellicott City, MD. I purchased my '69 Z28 in March of '72.  What I noticed when the system was new, it was not quite as loud as the systems available today.  Eventually, as the age and 30-40 miles were put on my car, the system did get louder.  I installed another a couple of years later. When I sold this car in 1976, my Z28 had just turned 99,000 miles.  Without a doubt, do not buy any system but a Gardner.  They are by far the best available and only system accepted in our "Legends" class at the Camaro Nationals. 

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2023, 06:16:17 PM »
One more note, I was just telling Billy G. that I just installed a Gardner system on my survivor '68 Z28.  When I bought the car in 1990, the original owner has installed Corvair turbo mufflers when the car was new.  They were the hot lick for performance back in the day, and he was a professional street racer.  I left them on the car until they rotted out.  My buddy talked me into a stock style Flowmaster with cross-over muffler and 2 1/2" dia.  Left it on the car for about 15 years.  it became annoying and loud at high rpms with the factory 4.88 gears.  Can't say the car was any faster with the Flowmaster either.  Last year, I decided to install a Gardner system.  Seat of the pants, the car did not seem to suffer any street performance at all and now I can hear the solid lifters and M22.  Should have installed this years ago.  You can't go wrong with Gardner systems. 

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2023, 08:35:00 PM »
My friend and his wife own over 50 cars.  Most on this site do not work on cars daily. Not sure why Jerry hates D&R. Chuck Fisher is plastered all over the internet and I do work for him. Lifelong friend. There are 2. One is good and the other is a backstabbing scumbag.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2023, 01:08:48 AM »
I have been close friends with Jerry and Stevie for over 30 years. They are also long-time friends and have done a lot of business together. Both are leaders in the hobby.

Claiming people you don't know hate each other; name-calling. No idea what your problem is but please take it somewhere else.
Learning more and more about less and less...

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2023, 02:17:15 AM »
My friend and his wife own over 50 cars.  Most on this site do not work on cars daily. Not sure why Jerry hates D&R. Chuck Fisher is plastered all over the internet and I do work for him. Lifelong friend. There are 2. One is good and the other is a backstabbing scumbag.

Scott you have been helpful in the past but your attitude needs to change on this site.

Take some time off and reflect.

You’re a bit too full of yourself with the “most guys on this site don’t work on cars daily” comment. Other people know stuff too.

Also your assumptions about other people and name calling have no business in this forum.

Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2023, 02:39:21 AM »

You must be so proud to have a friend with means.  Try being the friend with manners.

DuWayne Ladner

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2023, 06:55:15 PM »
Thank you Mr. Jerry Mac, but my choice is leaning towards Eric Gardner and the transverse system, my real question was and still is, from the Stainless Steel Chambered system I now have, is the 2” system inadequate for a factory spec built L78 396. Is this universal or across the board for SB/BB cars. This all begin for me when my engine builder asked me if I was sure that I wanted to put this 2” system behind this engine! But I guess at this point still some confusion and discernment of choices in a system, Of course I guess I can find a source that could piece mill me parts I need, as I know Gardner does not break a set. Looking for Stainless at least 2 1/2” header and cut outs back to outlets also. Over the housing to the transverse set up. Again Thanks Mr Jerry, and all other CRG’ers, and God Bless.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2023, 04:46:36 PM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 06:02:50 PM by ko-lek-tor »
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2023, 06:32:18 PM »
Bentley, your link opens Bing, but that's all.

It says ?FORM=GPFAIL so I'm assuming it's a bad link

Ed

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2023, 06:38:05 PM »
Idk if this is what Bentley was trying to post but here is a quick chart for reference.

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2023, 08:15:00 PM »
Hot Rod did an article in 1998 about the effect the diameter of the exhaust system has on horsepower:

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ccrp-9812-2-quarter-inch-exhaust-3-inch-exhaust/

DuWayne Ladner

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2023, 03:13:11 PM »
Thanks GMAD__Van Nuys, great response and yes great article! Does answer my questions about the difference of od” of SB and BB systems in that it really focuses on , yes hp gain/loss. Now my situation is my purchase of a 2” Chambered Stainless Steel system ordered for a BB, paid for a BB, and can not get the selling vendor to return calls, emails, messaging. Anyone else in CRG have these problems. Kinda 1 of these deals, of 1st item ordered for last item of a restoration to be done. At this point I’m definitely on the Gardner systems side, but at this point do not need the complete system, and already know they do not piece mill. Oh well gonna get it figured out. Thanks everyone for ya’s input here on CRG. God Bless.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2023, 04:22:00 PM »
"Now my situation is my purchase of a 2” Chambered Stainless Steel system ordered for a BB, paid for a BB, and can not get the selling vendor to return calls, emails, messaging."

Hope its not Allen's Stainless Exhaust - they went out of business from what I see.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2023, 05:06:42 PM »
Thanks GMAD__Van Nuys, great response and yes great article! Does answer my questions about the difference of od” of SB and BB systems in that it really focuses on , yes hp gain/loss. Now my situation is my purchase of a 2” Chambered Stainless Steel system ordered for a BB, paid for a BB, and can not get the selling vendor to return calls, emails, messaging. Anyone else in CRG have these problems. Kinda 1 of these deals, of 1st item ordered for last item of a restoration to be done. At this point I’m definitely on the Gardner systems side, but at this point do not need the complete system, and already know they do not piece mill. Oh well gonna get it figured out. Thanks everyone for ya’s input here on CRG. God Bless.

Maybe what you need to do is find somebody running a small block with headers & sell them your system. At that point you know where to go for what you need....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

anything