Author Topic: Keisler Tremec Transmission versus Classic Chevy Transmissions?  (Read 7099 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Keisler Tremec Transmission versus Classic Chevy Transmissions?
« on: February 01, 2007, 04:24:15 AM »
Hey guys...I am trying to figure out if anyone has used either supplier for a Tremec 5 speed.

I have looked into both suppliers and spoke with them.  They both seem knowledgeable, but of course they are salesmen.

Has anyone had any experience with either one of them.  There are things I liked and disliked about what they are offering so any opinions would help.

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transmissions/camaro_67-69_6spd.asp

or

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Camaro-Firebird-1967-81-Kit-Select.aspx

The components are different and the pricing is about $500 cheaper for one of them for the identical kit.  I don't mind spending the difference if the money will get me a better setup.  But, is it really better or just higher priced.  Overall, which one with have the highest quality, ease of install and help if I need it.  If anyone has used either kit, please let me know.

Steve

gcocamaro

• View Profile
Re: Keisler Tremec Transmission versus Classic Chevy Transmissions?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:30:32 PM »
I bought my TKO600 kit from AMP Performance and it was less than both of those. I did have an issue with the driveshaft they sent, but "Tom" was very helpful and got it corrected although it took a couple of weeks for UPS to ship back and forth frome Arizona. Nice people out there.
Gary

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:16:34 AM »
I bought mine from Keisler and it was an easy swap. Everything fit and worked perfect... however, the guys from Classic Chevy are pretty active on the TC web site and I have heard great stuff about thier kit so I would not hesitate to use it .
 This is the one time I did not heavily photograph an install for whatever reason. The only pictures I have are of the Keisler titanium blend bellhousing. When I installed my headers and new exhaust I took some photos and this one shows the Keisler cross member , it is a nice piece. The shifter did locate in the factory hole with no cutting.

1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

zdld17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:03:52 AM »
If I can add, Classic guys are very helpful.   I used 5Speeds.com before I heard of Classic.  Yes , they are active on Team Camaro.   Might want to check with Jim. 
Don Dabbs

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »
That kit from Keisler is awesome! Check out the link below for the conversion done to a 69 Z-28 that I had here. This car had 39k original miles on it, unrestored, with a 4:10 gear. The entire install was bolt-in, no mods what-so-ever. The car would cruise on the highway at 70mph turning around 2k I believe. The best thing is you could use a stock shift knob and most would not know that it is a 5 or 6 speed...............RatPack.....................

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/articles/html-articles/chevyHighProformance0804Article.html
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............